Tiny Wood Stove In a Tiny House - Confirming Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Which is exactly my point and why we don't need an army of regulators brought in to get these people under control.
You also have to look at the companies manufacturing and selling the components. Should they be ably to make and sell anything they want and claim it is safe without testing it? Look at the example in this post. The op bought a chimney setup from what they thought was a reputable company. But that company clearly sold them something that is unsafe.

Reactions: brickie
I did not mean to imply that at all. I was just saying that a potential fire hazard is a potential firehazard no matter how rarely it causes a fire in other situations does not mean the hazard should be overlooked.

But without knowing the percentage of boats heated with wood the percentage of fires caused by it is meaningless. If 1% of fires on boats are caused by wood stoves but only 5% of boats are heated with wood that makes the risk pretty high if you are heating your boat with wood. And to be clear i am not saying those numbers are right at all just using them as hypotheticals.

So if one person sets his boat on fire doing something stupid and he's the only one that ever did it we're supposed to start passing laws about it since it's a 100% fire hazard? If this is some kind of commercial vessel where a bunch of innocent people get burned I could see it but that's not what we're talking about. It's a tiny problem, surely there must be something else more important to worry about.

What about if that stove is installed by a professional. Dont you think they should have some standard to go by. Or are you ok with them making it up as they go along?

Professionals are helpless as babies without a government regulatory board to guide them?

So if one person sets his boat on fire doing something stupid and he's the only one that ever did it we're supposed to start passing laws about it since it's a 100% fire hazard? If this is some kind of commercial vessel where a bunch of innocent people get burned I could see it but that's not what we're talking about. It's a tiny problem, surely there must be something else more important to worry about.
No if some one does something stupid and sets a fire that is one thing. But if someone buys a system from a company that claims it is safe and that system causes a fire because it was not that is a problem.

You also have to look at the companies manufacturing and selling the components. Should they be ably to make and sell anything they want and claim it is safe without testing it? Look at the example in this post. The op bought a chimney setup from what they thought was a reputable company. But that company clearly sold them something that is unsafe.

So sue them. Demand your money back. Post nasty comments about them online. So far we have one example of a company behaving this way and you want to drag in the government? All these regulations didn't stop the professionals from installing my stove pipe incorrectly or failing to meet code with the chimney in the chimney in the attic. I don't see why you think it will help here.

Professionals are helpless as babies without a government regulatory board to guide them?
No they are not helpless but how many builders do you know that have the lab equipment needed to test for the required clearances on a chimney system? Without anyone testing it they would simply be guessing.

No if some one does something stupid and sets a fire that is one thing. But if someone buys a system from a company that claims it is safe and that system causes a fire because it was not that is a problem.

It didn't cause a fire.

So sue them. Demand your money back. Post nasty comments about them online. So far we have one example of a company behaving this way and you want to drag in the government? All these regulations didn't stop the professionals from installing my stove pipe incorrectly or failing to meet code with the chimney in the chimney in the attic. I don't see why you think it will help here.
What if that person died in that fire it is kind of hard for them to sue then isnt it.

What didnt cause a fire?

The stove that was the whole point of this thread. It didn't case a fire.

Look, this is a waste of time. Clearly you believe in creating regulations for things that haven't proven themselves to be a problem yet and I don't. I suggest we leave it at that.

The stove that was the whole point of this thread. It didn't case a fire.

Look, this is a waste of time. Clearly you believe in creating regulations for things that haven't proven themselves to be a problem yet and I don't. I suggest we leave it at that.
No not yet but if they keep using it the way it is ot very well could. And from what i could see it is installed according to the directions. So do you think that that company should not be held accountable by someone for putting out an unsafe product? Or is it only unsafe if it finally does cause a fire? Does that fire have to kill someone for it to be a problem?

And thanks for the tip re the kettle. Indeed I bought it because someone told me I might need to ADD moisture to the air haha. Honestly, I never fill the darn thing as it boils off quickly. I will be sure to get rid of it now as its seemingly going to be purely decoration

Don't be too quick to get rid of it. Fix your flue problems first, then decide if you need it. Life will be different with a properly working flue.

You might want to contact these folks to see if they can advise you, or provide a decent flue for you.

http://www.marinestove.com/index.htm

Last edited:
I have to say that outside flue pipe looks like total crap, even without all the creosote running down im sure it takes away from the clean look of the house quite a bit. No to mention it if it ever lit off, you would most likely burn the whole place down. That installation is crying out for a straight up thru the roof solution.

OP... Just a reminder.... make sure the metal sheet covering the walls is 1 inch off the wall. It is the air behind the sheet, and its free movement, that provides the insulation

The way it's set up it provides no insulation

Last edited by a moderator:
You also have to take into account the percentage of boats out there that are heated with wood stoves. I dont know the percentage but i would bet it is pretty low.

Over here, the vast majority of people do not have a heating system on their boat. When they do, they will either have propane or diesel based systems because these are the fuels available on the boat (diesel for the engine, propane for the oven and bbq). Propane heating produces a lot of moisture in the cabin so it is less popular. It is also denser than air so I has the tendency to find its way into bilges if your have a leak and then things go 'boom'. Pretty much all the heated boats use espar forced air diesel systems, which are the same heaters used that the truck drivers to heat their sleeping cabins.
Wood stoves on boats are more of a romantic thing and people with modern boats have no interest at all in them. It's mostly the classic boat crowd that will use them. I'd be surprised if 1% of people with heating systems on boats ran a wood stove. And i would estimate maybe 10% of boats have heating in my area. So we are talking about a very small amount of boats here.

I would like to thank everyone for their input on this thread. I also purchased a Grizzly on March 2015 and am just getting around to installing it now in my tiny house on wheels. Single wall flue was ordered with the stove, but now is redundant.(Waste of money) Spent the last month scouring the internet trying to find pieces to install this correctly. It will be 90 inches to the ceiling, Dickensen deck fitting and 1@ 2ft.double wall and cap. Still waiting for double wall flue to arrive from Cubic Mini as I could not find anything else on the market. Looked at offerings from Tiny Wood Stoves but I already had the Dickensen deck fitting and cap. (Wasted too much money on buying useless stuff on initial order with stove) Learned a lot from this thread and Youtube on this subject and will try to piece together everything and not burn my house down. The initial thought is to start 1 single wall to radiate more heat,follow with 3 sections of double wall then the deck fitting and lastly 1 - 2 ft double wall and cap. Don't know if this will work as the parts are not here yet. ( They sell an adapter to mate the dual wall with the deck fitting) I will post again with pictures after my install.
I agree with the others on this thread and am very skeptical about installing the flue the way they (Cubic Mini). suggest, male up. This has been a very expensive learning curve for a novice like me. Put my faith and trust in the company making the stove to steer me on the right path for flue, but they don't know any more than I. (Originally selling single wall) After purchasing this stove the company sent me an email saying that they were in the process of getting the Grizzly, certified and would send me a certificate in a few months. Waited over 2 years and when I call them for it,they decided not to certify. How do you purchase insurance without a certificate?

I would like to thank everyone for their input on this thread. I also purchased a Grizzly on March 2015 and am just getting around to installing it now in my tiny house on wheels. Single wall flue was ordered with the stove, but now is redundant.(Waste of money) Spent the last month scouring the internet trying to find pieces to install this correctly. It will be 90 inches to the ceiling, Dickensen deck fitting and 1@ 2ft.double wall and cap. Still waiting for double wall flue to arrive from Cubic Mini as I could not find anything else on the market. Looked at offerings from Tiny Wood Stoves but I already had the Dickensen deck fitting and cap. (Wasted too much money on buying useless stuff on initial order with stove) Learned a lot from this thread and Youtube on this subject and will try to piece together everything and not burn my house down. The initial thought is to start 1 single wall to radiate more heat,follow with 3 sections of double wall then the deck fitting and lastly 1 - 2 ft double wall and cap. Don't know if this will work as the parts are not here yet. ( They sell an adapter to mate the dual wall with the deck fitting) I will post again with pictures after my install.
I agree with the others on this thread and am very skeptical about installing the flue the way they (Cubic Mini). suggest, male up. This has been a very expensive learning curve for a novice like me. Put my faith and trust in the company making the stove to steer me on the right path for flue, but they don't know any more than I. (Originally selling single wall) After purchasing this stove the company sent me an email saying that they were in the process of getting the Grizzly, certified and would send me a certificate in a few months. Waited over 2 years and when I call them for it,they decided not to certify. How do you purchase insurance without a certificate?
Sorry to hear that, what a pain in the butt. You'll have to discuss this with your insurance agent. Some companies are ok as long as the installation is inspected and others have stringent requirements including UL lab certification.