Tiny wood stoves for tiny houses

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
This topic comes up often so I thought I would start a thread that contains links for stoves for small spaces. This Canadian site has some nice models made by Ekol and others. Some are quite stylish. They also have chimney supplies which can be hard to find for small stoves that have a 4" flue requirement.
EKOL
Dickinson Marine has been making boat stoves for a long time. I was surprised to see that one can now buy their solid fuel heater at Walmart.
Navigator makes classic castiron boat stoves
Dwarf Stoves
Cubic Grizzly
Morso

This is a hugely underserved market in the USA. I love seeing it get the attention it deserves.

It's a challenge due to clearances and available hardware, but things are improving.

Those Morso Owl stoves are cool, and this market is for sure expanding. Tiny homes are hugely popular around here, and I get asked about stoves for them on a weekly basis. I normally just recommend a Cubic Mini, instead of trying to make their old Jotul 602 work.

And I think Tiny wood stove .com deserves a shout out as well. I follow them on instagram and they have some really cool stoves.

They are growing in popularity here too. The Dwarf Stove link connects to Tiny Wood Stove's site.

Reactions: D. Hermit
I have wondered for some time why there really aren't any tiny wood stoves that burn for 8+ hours. I assume it has to do with thermal loss, a smaller stove has more surface area relative to its internal volume, so if you turn the air down (reducing the rate of combustion and thus heat output), it will cool too much and go out, or just smolder. To me, it seems that a smaller wood stove would need more insulation to keep the internal temps up even with a low burn rate, or maybe the tiny wood stove industry is the ideal place to use catalytic technology, since that would allow a clean burn even if the stove is smoldering?

I have wondered for some time why there really aren't any tiny wood stoves that burn for 8+ hours. I assume it has to do with thermal loss, a smaller stove has more surface area relative to its internal volume, so if you turn the air down (reducing the rate of combustion and thus heat output), it will cool too much and go out, or just smolder. To me, it seems that a smaller wood stove would need more insulation to keep the internal temps up even with a low burn rate, or maybe the tiny wood stove industry is the ideal place to use catalytic technology, since that would allow a clean burn even if the stove is smoldering?
It will not allow for clean burning when the stove is only smoldering, because if its smoldering it wont be hot enough to activate the cat, and will just clog it up and smoke you out.

It will not allow for clean burning when the stove is only smoldering, because if its smoldering it wont be hot enough to activate the cat, and will just clog it up and smoke you out.
Wouldn't that be true for any size CAT stove? You always have to get it hot enough to light off, then you can turn it down to a "black box" which is essentially a smolder, and the CAT will remain active. Basically, I thought a catalytic combustor would stay lit from its self-generated heat, not relying on heat from the smoldering wood once it was lit.

ha, funny, it's b/c you can only put so much fuel in it, that's why these BK peeps luv their ugly stoves, it can't burn forever...

If we can agree that a "tiny home" or "tiny house" generally features 500 square feet max and often smaller, can we find a consensus on BTU needs?

I think insulation and air sealing are at least as important, possibly even more important than they are for ordinary homes, but I am still curious to know what sort of BTU output or heating load is considered sort of average-ish.

Oh, wow. That’s a can of worms. My cabin is just less than 500 sq ft. I have an uninsulated floor to help protect against flooding from a lake. I can sink an awful lot of heat into it and have it whisp away due to wind.

I get asked on a daily basis for stoves, we have a cabin business in Australia wouldlove to get some over here

Last edited by a moderator:
Wrong. Just dead wrong. The reason we can get 30 - 40 hour burn times out of 3 - 4 cubic foot cat stoves, with clean burning and a clean chimney at the end of the season, is precisely because cat stoves can maintain active reburn while just smoldering. That's really the primary reason so many of us buy cat stoves, despite their higher cost and fewer dealer/brand options.

If you have no need to burn low and slow, "smoldering" the wood as you call it, then you're better off with a non-cat. But a good cat stove design would be a way to get reasonable burn times out of these small packages, if it could be engineered to work well in such a small volume. Figure on 10 hours per cubic foot as the current ceiling for cat stove tech, which more like 4 hours per cubic foot as the ceiling for non-cats.

However, with a bottom end of 10K BTUs/hr. these cat stoves could overwhelm a 200-400 sq ft tiny house. There are no tiny cat stoves that I know of.

Reactions: Ashful
have dovre 400 in 800sqft bungalow ,well insulated cooks you out of house on full load .smaller woodstove in a well insulated house might actually work out quite well.

The other issue in a tiny home is the space requirement. There is not a lot of spare room. This is where a marine stove makes sense.

Reactions: Ashful
However, with a bottom end of 10K BTUs/hr. these cat stoves could overwhelm a 200-400 sq ft tiny house. There are no tiny cat stoves that I know of.
Especially if the forecast changes after you've lit a full load!