Husband wants to install a wood stove for emergency heating in our old smallish farm house.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
DH read all the post! He laughed...he cried...He is ready to look at a 2cf stove instead of the smaller one. I think he willing to get the whole chimney lined, but he won't answer me when I'm asking him as I type. I told him I'd pay for it ;lol I think you guys know how that will go.

He has been lighting fires in the livestock tank heater for 50 or so years, and doesn't think he will be lighting fires in the basement stove for fun. I told him I might, then we both laughed. Getting the wood in the basement will be easy, it goes through the window, like they did over the years when they had the wood burning furnace attached to the old propane furnace.

He rolled his eyes when I said "put a new hole for the stove pipe at the south side of the chimney, and abandon the open hole, and the covered hole." Is bricking up the open hole and leaving the steel capped hole as is a safe thing? I would think for safety that the bricked hole would need bricking too. But the liner should be air tight, so maybe it doesn't make any difference.

I like the idea of the jack to hold the beams for support. There is one jack in the basement at the beam already, about 10 feet away.

DH is on the same page as you folks with the ideas to just keep it warm enough to prevent freezing pipes and some safe comfort. He wants to get rid of his 20,000btu kerosene heater, that is old and regarded by him, as unsafe. We've used it in the past for emergency, but it has been many years. He wants a wood stove.

Plan is to get a 2cf stove now, like the Drolet Columbia. I don't know why I'm stuck on that brand, but it sounds like a sensible stove and made in Canada. Cost is a factor. I can buy it online from a link that Drolet has on their webpage.

We now have to get some estimates for the brickwork and liner. Also the jack for the support to supplement the brick brace that is there now. Thanks "Stinkpickle" for the thoughts for the south side chimney site and the jack idea.

Let us know how it goes. We live pretty close to you, and we usually fire up the stove every time wind and ice warnings pop up, because our electric service is sensitive to it. This is probably the first winter we didn’t lose power.

You know, you’re right Hogz. Sorry to come off that way, it wasn’t my intention. Again, sorry about that, and thanks for calling me on it.
I prolly could have been better at my wording also, and no hard feelings. Most of you know me by now, and while I think I've been pretty mellow in the last few years, I do get a bug up my keister once in a while, and as we know, have no problem letting it be known.
All is good. Life goes on. Sorry for my part. I will call out what I feel it's needed though, just how I'm built.

Reactions: enduring and Ashful
Def get rid of the kero heater, especially if it's vented to the interior, that is just not worth the risk.

Reactions: enduring
I'm not too much offended by that comment, maybe a bit, but I just brushed it off. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
That's what we do; Running two stoves begins to wear on him late in the season. ;lol
I thought I was being funny on another forum, and made an uncalled for comment, that I apologized for later, though it really impacted our online conversations for me from then on.
Wow, I wish I'd thought of that apology angle a long time ago..but it's way too late for that now. :( ;)

• Haha
Reactions: enduring and Ashful
He wants to get rid of his 20,000btu kerosene heater, that is old and regarded by him, as unsafe. We've used it in the past for emergency, but it has been many years. He wants a wood stove.
Those kerosene heaters are a hazard. They stink when yo start em and stink when you shut em off. And if you use it regularly you can wipe the oily residue off everything around them ,including your lungs.

Those kerosene heaters are a hazard. They stink when yo start em and stink when you shut em off. And if you use it regularly you can wipe the oily residue off everything around them ,including your lungs.

Plus kerosene is grossly overpriced. I made the mistake and owned a nice kerosene heater when I first bought the current home. Current price by the 5 gallon pail is 7$ per gallon. You're way better off with a catalytic portable propane heater if you must have a nonvented fuel burner in the home.

A house at 65º upstairs and 80º in the basement is safe, warm and livable, especially if the basement room is made comfortable. I'd much rather go there than sit out in a truck. If the power is out in the area, it might be out at the local restaurants too.

DH has the right idea. Feeding a 2 cu ft stove every 6 hrs is not a big deal if one is prepared and has dry firewood on hand.

I agree with this. If floorspace is a premium upstairs and this is really for emergency heat then the basement stove running hard will be fine.

Like someone else said, the risk is when OP and her husband realize how awesome a wood stove is and now want one upstairs.

• Haha
Plus kerosene is grossly overpriced. I made the mistake and owned a nice kerosene heater when I first bought the current home. Current price by the 5 gallon pail is 7$ per gallon. You're way better off with a catalytic portable propane heater if you must have a nonvented fuel burner in the home.
I remember when Kero was the cheapest fuel there was. Now it's premo.

I think I'm kind of with Highbeam on this one.

On one hand, farmers seldom need to go looking for a bunch of extra work, which heating full time with wood definitely is.

On the other hand, getting in 1-2 cords per year for part time heat isn't that much work, and it sure is nice to sit by the stove on a cold night even if the power's on.

I'd go for the big stove too (though I'd put it upstairs). It seems like a waste of a stove to slap it in an uninsulated basement. You're not just losing heat to the earth; by taking it out of the living space, you're losing the best part about heating with wood (and the reason I think you'll end up burning on cold nights even when the power is fine).

I remember when Kero was the cheapest fuel there was. Now it's premo.

My parents had two kerosene space heaters in one house because it was our first time heating with anything but wood and electricity was expensive, and kerosene was cheap.

The kids used to gather around those things like they were wood stoves. Got ya fairly dizzy between the kerosene fumes and the carbon monoxide. Good times. (I got to revisit them later when I got deployed to the top of a frigging mountain in Korea and discovered the joys of the camp stove.... sheet metal avgas/diesel/kerosene stove made to heat a tent. That was better because it had a flue. It was worse because you slept in a tent it, and every so often some ass would knock the flue over in the middle of the night...)

I think I have DH on board to move the stove to the left of the chimney with a new opening for the stove pipe.
Put a support jack at the point of the beam just short of the chimney where the current opening for pipe is located.
Put a shield at the ceiling for fire protection of the less than desired clearance. Floor to combustable is 79". Need 84"
Looking at 2cf box at this time, and 2020 EPA certified, unless a good buy for not 2020 cert is around. Still want efficient and low particle output. Want economy pricing.

The following stoves are based on recommendations from this thread, or my enquiries:

I like the Drolet Columbia II that is 1.9cf, and flat top which I want.

True North TN20. Has a flat top. 2.0cf

Enlander 13NC, it has some features that sound nice.

Drolet Escape 1800 with legs. 2020 EPA cert.

I called Drolet yesterday and they are very helpful. They recommended the the HT-. I can't remember if it was the 2000 or the 3000. The 3000 is 2020 EPA cert.

QUESTIONS
  1. Should I Look at the larger stoves with a 2.5cf or larger box, for our uninsulated basement of about 1200sf (split up into 4-5 smaller rooms full of mostly stored adult kids junk). And the main living area above about 1200sf. Remember this is for emergency heating. The room the stove will sit in can be made into a rustic seating area though with a foosball table. That room is about 480sf.
  2. How do you plug the existing chimney hole, and cut/drill a new one on the neighboring side? Is this safe and doable?
Planned location of the stove will be centered on this block wall, and plan to make new chimney opening on the side below the brick ledge that supports the beam:
aWo+Pa4aRN6xBV3a9rlZMg.jpg

North elevation, not to scale, with stove placed centered along the block wall (as shown in picture above):
fyjB+CPbSCieR5%BKdk8lw.jpg

north elevation, not to scale, with new, proposed jack, and existing jack to the right:
QqbOhtaYTs6asSOWcFdCsw.jpg

not to mention the generator could also be made to run off propane with an auto transfer switch for the same sort of money as a new stove and liner etc...
But DH wants a stove. I am trying to find out the most effective and safest installation to that end.

BTW, I put an offer on a Jotul f45 and got it yesterday. Now the basement needs clearing out, the chimney fixed with lining, the stove moved in (will be heavy to move down the concrete basement steps), and the break-in burn. I love the look of this stove. the handle is very user friendly. Others I tried, sometimes seemed sloppy to use. Of course the look is terrific. I plan on making a seating area down there for a retreat, to read, or visit.
Eyl0SLjvQD2hv0dmzrrSZQ.jpg

But DH wants a stove. I am trying to find out the most effective and safest installation to that end.
I agree ,i chose a stove over a generator for several reasons. Power rarely goes out and when it does its only for a few hours. A generator needs to be run and tested regularly EVEN it if its never actually used or needed. A woodstove i can use in between emergencies as well so its not going to be another useless purchase the majority of the time. Also id rather remain indoors feeding a wood stove then running outside putting gas and oil in a generator. If you lose power often or for long periods of time your needs may be different.

Last edited:
You wouldnt believe what my basement looked like when i moved in here. Dirt floor, giant pile of coal stove ashes piled up to the floor joists above. Now its finished with a large bar and pool table. Exercise equiment ,1/2 bath & Office and most importantly a woodstove.

• Wow

BTW, I put an offer on a Jotul f45 and got it yesterday. Now the basement needs clearing out, the chimney fixed with lining, the stove moved in (will be heavy to move down the concrete basement steps), and the break-in burn. I love the look of this stove. the handle is very user friendly. Others I tried, sometimes seemed sloppy to use. Of course the look is terrific. I plan on making a seating area down there for a retreat, to read, or visit.View attachment 258015

I see what is happening here. That “emergency heat” project just became a handsome stove as a centerpiece to your new retreat. You’re going to love it.

Yea looks too nice to hide it in the basement. I predict either the basement gets fixed up ,or the stove makes it way upstairs eventually. :cool:

Reactions: Highbeam
Yea looks too nice to hide it in the basement. I predict either the basement gets fixed up ,or the stove makes it way upstairs eventually. :cool:
I wish we could put it upstairs, but there is just not a spot for it :(

I ordered a 10 yard dumpster to be delivered on Monday to begin the culling. DD (dear daughter) is informed that she is to go through all of her stuff that is stacked in the basement. DH just stared at me when I told him a dumpster is arriving on Monday. He does take advantage of it putting things in it that have accumulated around the farm. I find dumpsters so helpful. I've rented several over the years for remodel projects.

Last edited:
I wish we could put it upstairs, but there is just not a spot for it :(

I ordered a 10 yard dumpster to be delivered on Monday to begin the culling. DD (dear daughter) is informed that she is to go through all of her stuff that is stacked in the basement. DH just stared at me when I told him a dumpster is arriving on Monday. He does take advantage of it putting things in it that have accumulated around the farm. I find dumpsters so helpful. I've rented several over the years for remodel projects.
DH now realizes that he has, once again, been outsmarted by his DW. Happens to me all the time (-8.

... or accelerated, if he’s smart enough.

Eh, it's really all about safety and functionality. You have to insulate the floor and walls to burn a stove without wasting most of the heat. Once it's all insulated, you will really need a comfy chair near the stove so the operator can monitor it for important safety reasons. And without a fridge near the comfy chair, he might be tempted to leave the stove burning unattended, which can have safety and efficiency implications if he's not there to poke at the fire every fifteen minutes. And without a workbench, it'll be tough to properly maintain the refrigerator. And it takes way too much time to go back and forth from the barn to the basement every time you need a tool, so we'll need some tools and pegboard...