Tire wear question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Air bags leaked at different rates over the year as I chased the problem down. I think I finally have that beat. They are rated for more than they are carrying.

My 3/4 ton Suburban runs load range E tires. And I have never had a set of any brand on it since 1995 that wasn't 80 psi loaded and 50 PSI minimum for unloaded ride quality. Ride sucks with 80 in the fronts but tire wear is a lot better.

No you don't need to have a RAWR of 10k to take advantage of LRE tires. The typical LRE tire can only support around 3300# so a typical truck can overload LRE tires with as little as 7000# on the rear axle which includes the empty weight of the rear axle.

My F350 has a RAWR of 6600 as I recall and is limited by the LRE tires.

A LRE tire with a max psi rating of 44 psi is bogus. What is the max payload of this supposedly E rated tire?

2601 lbs

Reactions: MasterMech
Door says 35lbs. No idea what is in the tires. I just had a multipoint service done and they checked air pressures without opening the door. Guessing I am at that 44 mark.

I dont have experience with truck tires specifically but Ive learned to somewhat ignore the door rating over the years. Seems most manufacturers choose that more for ride comfort and road noise. Even on my sedans I always end up running quite a bit more pressure for better grip and MPG.

Status
Not open for further replies.