To Cut or Not to Cut?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Godchaser

Oct 28, 2015
WV
I just ran out of wood. With Spring right around the corner, I hate to get a whole other truckload for just a few weeks (just for supplemental wood burner, main house is LP). The wood burner helps keep costs of LP-driven furnace down, located in a sunroom where we spend most time.

I do have a logpile that was there before we bought the house that has been down now for about 2 yrs, mostly poplar. Though it's not in log lengths, since it's been down for 2 yrs, should it be dry enough to burn? A local fellow said if it's been down for 2 yrs should be OK.

Thoughts?

You can also get a load and burn what you don't burn this year, next year. But I doubt it will be in any better shape to burn now than what you've got. Which might not be very good. Wood needs to be cut & split right away - drying doesn't really start until after that.

I just ran out of wood. With Spring right around the corner, I hate to get a whole other truckload for just a few weeks (just for supplemental wood burner, main house is LP). The wood burner helps keep costs of LP-driven furnace down, located in a sunroom where we spend most time.

I do have a logpile that was there before we bought the house that has been down now for about 2 yrs, mostly poplar. Though it's not in log lengths, since it's been down for 2 yrs, should it be dry enough to burn? A local fellow said if it's been down for 2 yrs should be OK.

Thoughts?
Poplar, then you are good to go. Get it cut, split and stacked, then out of the wet. I had the same situation, and the poplar saved us.

All that said, you will have to reload often, and keep a sharp eye on the stove lest you have overfires. Small price to pay to avoid burning costly fossil fuels the keep warm.

You have it backward. Never buy wood to burn. I do mean never. What you want to do is buy wood for next year or better yet for the year after. Wood needs to season properly and anyone who cuts to a length to suit you is selling green wood. Water is a biach to get started and to burn. If you need wood for next year, go out and source it yourself right now from things like craigs list or other places that are not set up to make money on this year's needs. I look for wood that is to be removed at "no cost" and if it looks like an easy collection I go get it. Anybody that posts wood for trade against your labor and wants you to have insurance and to clean up sawdust is having a pipe dream. Pass them up. A nice easy fall of a tree that is easy to get to and the people are not too picky might actually be worth your time. Otherwise, buy logs that you need to buck to length and are available cheap in your area. You will need to split them as soon as you get them to let them dry properly.