To many people!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xbunzx

Feb 25, 2010
Forreston IL
In my area of northern IL I never would see any one cutting wood, well that seems to be over. I drive around my area and see where people have been cutting. Time must be tough. Hope things turn around soon and they leave all the wood for me. To most getting wood is work, to me its a great day in the timber.

I've noticed the same thing. Check out the number of folks using foodstamps at the store. Never saw much of it before 2008, now it seems most folks use it. The problem is the rest of us are paying for it.

Tons of folks cutting wood around here.

Food stamps are no more it's now a card that looks exactly like a credit card,the person in front of you at the store can be on assistance and you'd never know.Not slamming anyone just educating.

They have that EBT or WIC card but around here they get paper vouchers or checks as well? Not sure if thats a state thing also or what, i see someone almost every other time im at the store with these checks or swiping the card. But i do live in one of the poorer areas in my state.

As far as all of us paying for it, unless here were different than the country average (i saw we probably are, as were most self sufficient) only 49% or so of us are payig for it. The other 51+% dont pay any federal income tax period!!

It really burns me up to when i see the mom in the store with the kid or two and she is buying steaks $4/gallon milk and fresh salad and tomatoes (out of season, i grow my own), then they swipe the card or sign the voucher thing im talking about. I pay cash for my few items (or credit card but i pay off each month) then by the time i get outside i see her loading her kids into her Escalade, with the chrome package, yet shes on food stamps. I then crawl into my $1000 ford ranger with over 250K miles on it! Dont get me wrong i dont want an escalde or am jealous of it. I really dont care what i drive i rather save the money than drive a 34K $ truck. My point is that there on food stamps, how are they paying $500+ month on their truck?????

The wood cutting thing has not taken off here yet but it did in the late 70's and it was a mess, people doing stupid stuff and cutting where they were not supposed to pissing off the farmers, sure hope it does not get that bad again.

I've noticed that scrounging has become tougher, I usually get there too late and somebody else has already got a claim to the wood.....I just don't have the time to hunt...work 7:15 am till 11:30 pm....and usually another 12 hours one weekend day, twice a month :long:

clemsonfor said:
As far as all of us paying for it, unless here were different than the country average (i saw we probably are, as were most self sufficient) only 49% or so of us are payig for it. The other 51+% dont pay any federal income tax period!!

Sounds like someone likes to project into some sweeping generalizations. Didn't get Michelle very far, did it? $2/gal gas would work for me, though.

Would you be heading for some "class warfare" or "envy" (see Mitt)? Nothing personal, but this stuff gets us nowhere. (And ... use spell-check pls.)

Increasing number of people cutting and burning wood around hear too. Pat

ohlongarm said:
Food stamps are no more it's now a card that looks exactly like a credit card,the person in front of you at the store can be on assistance and you'd never know.Not slamming anyone just educating.

He likely is getting caught in line behind someone with WIC checks/vouchers.
The way the vouchers work slows down the check-out process anemically.
They are a PITA for everyone involved but it is supposedly cutting down on the possibility of any fraud.
Some little kid is eating . We never know mom's circumstances. Could be dad was killed in Afghanistan.
While I reach down deep for some more patience I also find some thankfulness that it's not me struggling.

billb3 said:
ohlongarm said:

He likely is getting caught in line behind someone with WIC checks/vouchers.
The way the vouchers work slows down the check-out process anemically.
They are a PITA for everyone involved but it is supposedly cutting down on the possibility of any fraud.
Some little kid is eating . We never know mom's circumstances. Could be dad was killed in Afghanistan.
While I reach down deep for some more patience I also find some thankfulness that it's not me struggling.

+ 1

Yah when my wee baby and I were couch surfing at friends' houses and living on food stamps, I did have trouble making it to my monthly appointment at the county office. All that shiny stuff in the parking lot. I got disoriented.

xbunzx said:
In my area of northern IL I never would see any one cutting wood, well that seems to be over. I drive around my area and see where people have been cutting. Time must be tough. Hope things turn around soon and they leave all the wood for me. To most getting wood is work, to me its a great day in the timber.

Why did you have to mention food stamps? :lol:
Kenny

Status
Not open for further replies.