Today's Bounty

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katwillny

Not bad for a guy without a pickup truck. I picked this up on the side of the road on my trusty Mitsubishi Lancer. There is a lot of wood on the side of the road due to the storm earlier this summer and the snow in October. Ill have to probably think about getting an old beat up truck or an old minivan as the Lancer is just too small.

Attachments

• Bounty.jpg
    Bounty.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 555
Nice scrounge! It has been a gold mine for scrounging around here since that storm!

Got Wood said:
Nice scrounge! It has been a gold mine for scrounging around here since that storm!
Yes it has. I just Sent you a PM

Nice to see there are other people from the area on here. Live north of chadwick lake in orange county near newburgh. Be careful hauling a lot of wood in a small car did that with mine and after a while the shocks will be shot.

RORY12553 said:
Nice to see there are other people from the area on here. Live north of chadwick lake in orange county near newburgh. Be careful hauling a lot of wood in a small car did that with mine and after a while the shocks will be shot.
Yes agree that the shocks will go. I try not to load more than what 4 people weigh and try to distribute weight evenly.
I was just on Chadwick fishing with my son. I'm in beacon.

LaGrange for me

Nice scrounging going on there!

Oregon Bigfoot

KatWill said:
Not bad for a guy without a pickup truck. I picked this up on the side of the road on my trusty Mitsubishi Lancer. There is a lot of wood on the side of the road due to the storm earlier this summer and the snow in October. Ill have to probably think about getting an old beat up truck or an old minivan as the Lancer is just too small.

Or a small trailer will do too. Less expense than having to keep up two vehicles.

Backwoods Savage said:
KatWill said:

Or a small trailer will do too. Less expense than having to keep up two vehicles.

Humm didnt think of that. Definitely less expensive. Ill have to look online for a trailer small enough to haul with a small car. Thanks Dennis. If anyone can recommend a small trailer Id appreciate it much. thanks all.

Kat, I bought one of the small ones at Tractor Supply. I'm thinking the bed is 4' x 6' and it is a tilt trailer. Works good with our small Vibe and also the atv.

RORY12553 said:

Most stock shocks are cheap and short-lived. Simple, and cheap enough to replace them with various levels of better equipment. Air shocks are a good idea for the rears, if available for your model. Reduced suspension motion = reduced joint wear. Watch the tire pressures, too.

Some friends wonder why I like pickups so much. Silly people. (If you can get 30 mpg, and haul a ton, life's pretty good.)

didn't think of the trailer and will definitley consider it. first year burning and scrounging and boy am i learning alot. if you ever want to go fishing over there over the summer let me know we just walk through the woods and you are on the other side of the lake.

Good work! If you don't have your own acreage or wood lot... never turn down a chance to pick up fuel wood.

Trailer would be good IF it is big enough to make it worthwhile and small enough that your vehicle can pull it LOADED! And do so safely.
I can't see having a trailer that can barely be pulled loaded.

A beater pickup truck might be the ticket. Scrounging wood with a minivan can get your man card revoked. Unless, of course, that's all you've got. But I wouldn't buy a minivan as a secondary vehicle for hauling wood.

good scrounge+keep it going. you'll be surprised how much you can end up with if you are persistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.