Too cheap to buy rooftop support kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bag of hammers

Minister of Fire
Jan 7, 2010
Northern ON
This past weekend was a disassemble-and-remove-the-old-stove adventure. I got the parts out and roof patched on Saturday, the electrical storm insanity hit us on Sunday (whew....).

Since I'm in the up-on-the-roof mode now, I figure I'll get back up there this weekend and while I clean the newer chimney on my 2200 I might add some bracing (I'm legal, but we get some wicked winds so I'm thinking of doing it anyway). I see the kit selling at the local shop for @ $60. I already have a Selkirk stainless metal wall band that I think I can re-use - the flanges are already drilled, and if I bend them @ 45 deg I can easily bolt on the top end of each leg. I have metal support brackets (more spare parts) I can fasten to the roof deck, and attach the bottom of each leg. I just need to come up with a DIY set of legs (adjustable). Any suggestions on what to use for legs?

Yes I'm cheap but if I can easily improve the stability of my chimney with existing parts then why not?

EDIT - one more question, they say to fasten the roof brackets into a framing member e.g. top edge of rafter, as opposed to just using the roof decking (in my case, 1/2" plywood). How do you hit the rafter or framing without guesswork or turning the roof into Swiss cheese?

To hit the rafter, take a hammer and tap the roof surface, you will know when your on top of a rafter as it the hit will feel solid and the sound will be different than when your hitting a spot without the rafter underneath. It will bounce less, will be more of a dull thud, than a vibrating thud. You will know. Then tap an inch or half inch either way, and you will get a feel for how wide the area is above the rafter to get a better feel of where the center of the rafter is. You can also try a stud finder.

To hit the rafter, take a hammer and tap the roof surface, you will know when your on top of a rafter as it the hit will feel solid and the sound will be different than when your hitting a spot without the rafter underneath. It will bounce less, will be more of a dull thud, than a vibrating thud. You will know. Then tap an inch or half inch either way, and you will get a feel for how wide the area is above the rafter to get a better feel of where the center of the rafter is. You can also try a stud finder.
Thanks Hogwildz - I have an old piece of crap stud finder - I figured it would probably have a meltdown trying to see through shingles and plywood - but i can give it a try. Makes me a bit nervous punching any holes in the roof so I have to get it right the first time.

I'll be putting up a support kit before winter also. Should be fun.

I kinda thought about it a couple times, and folks here suggested to do it even just for extra peace of mind, then I got caught up in other stuff. Then a neighbor down the road lost his entire chimney early this year. They spend almost no time there during winter so they didn't even know it was down. They have a steep metal roof and their chimney extends up near the eve. There was a lot of pipe up there to get the required height. And a lot of slippery steel roof above the flashing. It was braced, but not sure how solid the brace was, as it was all down when I saw it. Could be some ice on the roof slid down and whacked the chimney. Along with crazy winds that could do some real damage. It was a mess laying on the ground when they showed up in the Spring. I don't know how much damage the entire system took - maybe the inside pipe / top end connections etc got whacked too. Good thing they weren't out there with a fire rolling in the stove when all that let go. At the very least it would have scared the crap out of them. My roof is a more gentle 4/12 slope, asphalt shingles, a bit better shelter from the wind, and the chimney is close to the peak, so I think have a bit more stable setup. But it still got me thinking about getting some extra bracing on there anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.