Too many choices! I need help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

SeanT

Oct 16, 2018
Mt Baldy, CA
Hi all,

Last winter my little boy and I slept in our mummy bags in bed, because my winter comforter couldn't keep us warm in a bedroom that was 40+ degrees. I decided to put in a fireplace insert only to realize there are so many make and models and so much to consider besides the size and price point! I would love some guidance! Here's some information regarding my house:

We live in a 2-story cabin just over 1900 sq ft in Mt Baldy, CA. I don't think it's particularly well insulated. It has large single pane windows and sliding doors all over. I currently have a rather large fireplace (45" Wide x 29" Tall x 27" deep I think) that just eats all my wood and not offer very much heat. It took a whole weekend of constantly feeding a huge fire to get the house to be nice to toasty, which ended up being very costly and a whole lot of work. When I started looking inserts, I found a few comments on here that said freestanding wood stoves actually produce more heat using less wood. I also read that a blower can be very noisy on an insert. So, I also looked at freestanding units, but then realize they need a certain clearance on top and the sides?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Best,

Sean

Skip that insert with the blower who needs the hassle and the noise. Get a Jotul Oslo wood stove and you will have some Norwegian heat in your house. Looks good too.

Welcome to the forum!

Can you post a pic of the fireplace? If you decide to put a stove in there, you'll need to make sure there is enough hearth in front of the stove for fire safety.

How tall is the chimney?

What is your price point?

Not all have noisy fans and that is usually only when the fan is on high. Some folks only run the fan on low. A freestanding stove is also an option, but even then you may prefer to have a blower on the stove for better heat circulation on very cold days. There are many inserts that will fit, so it comes down to budget, aesthetics and clearances mostly. Is the fireplace all brick or stone or is there a wood mantel too?

Skip that insert with the blower who needs the hassle and the noise. Get a Jotul Oslo wood stove and you will have some Norwegian heat in your house. Looks good too.

Hi, Simonkenton!

A friend had recommended Jotul as well as Lopi stoves. Can you tell me what you love about a Jotul?

Thanks!!

Sean

Welcome to the forum!

Can you post a pic of the fireplace? If you decide to put a stove in there, you'll need to make sure there is enough hearth in front of the stove for fire safety.

How tall is the chimney?

What is your price point?

I will go home and take a picture today to post as well as measurements! And thanks for the welcome!

Not all have noisy fans and that is usually only when the fan is on high. Some folks only run the fan on low. A freestanding stove is also an option, but even then you may prefer to have a blower on the stove for better heat circulation on very cold days. There are many inserts that will fit, so it comes down to budget, aesthetics and clearances mostly. Is the fireplace all brick or stone or is there a wood mantel too?

It's so hard to figure out a budget when I have no idea what is a reasonable range. The fireplace is stone with a big wood mantel, but the other day I heard a weird noise when a log hit the back of the firebox. It sounded like metal. I have to go knocking around inside later to know for sure.

The Jotul is beautiful. It has a big glass front door, great fireview. A well proven, rugged and reliable stove.

It's so hard to figure out a budget when I have no idea what is a reasonable range. The fireplace is stone with a big wood mantel, but the other day I heard a weird noise when a log hit the back of the firebox. It sounded like metal. I have to go knocking around inside later to know for sure.
Does it have a metal chimney in a chase or a full masonry chimney with a tile liner? Can you post a picture of the fireplace?

What dealers are in your area? Between Jotul and Lopi the latter has more options in large firebox sizes. It sounds like you will need a 3cu ft insert which would be the Lopi Freedom. There are others in this size range like the Regency i3100, Osburn 2400, Pacific Energy Summit, Quadrafire 5100, etc.

Does it have a metal chimney in a chase or a full masonry chimney with a tile liner? Can you post a picture of the fireplace?

What dealers are in your area? Between Jotul and Lopi the latter has more options in large firebox sizes. It sounds like you will need a 3cu ft insert which would be the Lopi Freedom. There are others in this size range like the Regency i3100, Osburn 2400, Pacific Energy Summit, Quadrafire 5100, etc.

Here's a photo of my fireplace. The Chimney looks full masonry on the outside. I've never actually looked up it! Not even sure what I would be looking for?? When you say tile liner, does it look like the ceramic tiles?

Quality Fireplace and BBQ in Upland, CA is the closest, but San Bernardino Fireplace is not too far away from me. I'm currently leaning more toward a freestanding unit. Seems to be more economical. SB Fireplace said that most blowers are quiet now, but over time as they get debris in them, they will get louder and louder.

I've noticed the clearance for freestanding units is quite spacious. I suspect the manufactures gave those measurements to cover their hides. If the material is all non-combustible, do I really need to follow the measurements?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_9832.jpg
    IMG_9832.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 563
Yes, that looks like a masonry fireplace. The 29" opening height is going to be the limiting factor for freestanding stoves though there are some that could sit out on the hearth and rear-vent into a tee connected to a liner.

The combustible clearances apply to combustibles. These are tested distances. In your case there is nothing combustible but the mantel. Inserts will list mantel clearances but many freestanding stoves don't because they are not often installed in a fireplace opening. That said it is possible and it may only take a mantel shield to make it proper.

Reactions: SeanT
So I am a novice like yourself.

But here is my two cents....

OK... Stove VS Insert.

If you did not have a fireplace already I would say stove but you have a fire place (so I think you should get a insert). Having a stove inside your fireplace is not ideal because a lot of heat will still go up your chimney, even with a block off plate installed and if you put a stove in your chimney you will surely want a blower.

About a blower... usually, blowers have different settings, so I would assume on LOW, the sound will not be to loud. And with the TV on, cooking, etc... I don't think the sound of the blower is a big deal.

I have a fireplace almost the same size as you and I just went for a contract to install a Lopi Hybrid wood insert, that has a CAT. If you don't want to fill your wood to often and are looking for something more efficient, I would get make sure you get a cat (IMHO).

I think insert is the way to go. You will not loose any space in the home with a flush insert. Also if you go the stove route, you would most likely have half the stove sticking out of the fire place and then your hearth would probably not be in code and do have some concerns... I am not positive but your mantel seems really LOW!!! Don't know if you can have a stove PERIOD, due to the low mantel (I could be completely wrong)... I would think you would be able to do a flush insert.

Bottom Line... IMHO... if you have an existing fireplace, you should do a insert (pellet or wood). GOOD LUCK.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
I going to add...

I was like you about two months ago.. I was convinced that I need a wood stove but through this forum.. I was convinced that going with a insert is the way to go.

BUT... the stove that I was convinced of getting due to my height of my fireplace (same as yours) was "NOVA from MFire it also has a cat"... I just loved the look!!! It is a untested stove but is made by a very good company. I even called the company, negotiated a 10% discount over the phone with one of the owners but in the end, I decided to go with a large flush mount lopi hybrid with a cat. Also the NOVA stove is rated for like 1,500 sf and the Lopi is rated for like 2,500 sf.

ALSO, I want to mention that if your home smells of smoke when you have a fire, you are probably doing damage to your young son (asma is a real concern of mine cause I know of small kids that have it and I am convinced it was due to there fire place that was one 24/7)... just that alone I would want to have a insert or wood stove.

Caveat. MF may be a good company, we don't know. It is a new company and so far we have not seen any reports, good or bad, on the company or stove. That gives reason for caution. Even new stoves from well established companies can have bugs that need to be worked out. For this reason it's often best to wait a year or two before buying a new design.

Oh yah... forgot to add....

If you go with a stove, you need to make sure you have access to the back if there are any controls (the nova stove would work).

Caveat. MF may be a good company, we don't know. It is a new company and so far we have not seen any reports, good or bad, on the company or stove. That gives reason for caution. Even new stoves from well established companies can have bugs that need to be worked out. For this reason it's often best to wait a year or two before buying a new design.

I agree with you but if I went the stove route... regardless of being a new company and a new stove (just released a few days ago), I still would go with the NOVA from MFire. And they have proven themselves with their first stove (IMHO).

But if you can show me a short stove that meets all the requirements (clearance and no controls in the back) and has a BIG glass window for viewing AND A CAT for long burning times, please post it and the stove needs to be able to attach a blower (in think you need one if you put a stove in a fireplace)...

Last edited:
Reactions: BobMcG
Fans being noisy is BS. It is good to clean them minimal every other season to clean dust, debris out. That may cause some noise and will certainly shorten the life of the fan. Go with what you want, freestander, insert, choice is yours. Sure those will say the stove they have it the one you should get, but keep in mind they are biased opinions. Again, go with what suites your wants. likes & needs. There are not many stoves I am aware of that have rear controls. The cat stoves will have a side lever usually, and I think BK stoves have a the thermodisc setup or whatever it's called set up on rear. Controls on the rear of a stove are kind of counter intuitive to me, not sure what the OP is referring to.
Take the time to research, find 2 or 3 that fit your fancy, then narrow down to the one you like most.

Do NOT go by the SF rating, go by the firebox size, and with your home sf, and possibly lacking of insulation, you're going to want to get the largest thing you can fit in that fireplace. Think 3sf or more.

If you go with a freestander, and it is a rear outlet, you may or may not have to disconnect to sweep the liner ever year. Most insert are simply a baffle or some tube removals, and sweep right into the stove with door closed if from top. No mess, no dust. By the time you figure legs or pedestal base on a freestander, your not going to fit much stove in there. 29" tall may seem like a lot, but when you try to slide a freestanding stove in there, you will lose height due to the legs/pedestal base. An insert will most likely give you more room for a larger firebox.

All comes down to what you like and want, and what best suites your needs.

Reactions: kennyp2339
Hard to tell from the photo, but that looks like a steel firebox to me.
Another thing to keep in mind, is clearance to combustibles, which include the wood mantle, which seems a bit low to start with. You will have to research the acceptable mantle clearance numbers and also possibly a mantle shield.

If you did not have a fireplace already I would say stove but you have a fire place (so I think you should get a insert). Having a stove inside your fireplace is not ideal because a lot of heat will still go up your chimney, even with a block off plate installed and if you put a stove in your chimney you will surely want a blower.

To address this many make or install a "convection deck". google wood stove convection deck.

To address this many make or install a "convection deck". google wood stove convection deck.
Fireplace opening is 29". An insert has a built in convection deck.

Fireplace opening is 29". An insert has a built in convection deck.

Yes, and convection sides with a convection bottom :)

My opening is 29", as are many others that chose a wood stove over an insert. And some install a convection deck with the wood stove.

You already know this. Now the OP does too.

Whats your budget, this is a good place to start. Most folks here will tell you the stove they have is the only way to go. most all of them are good choices, but I think it all depends on how much you want to spend or can spend, good luck

While you decide if an insert is right for you, you can work on air sealing your cabin. It's the best bang for the buck improvement you can make on your home. Weatherstripping on doors and windows, caulk, etc. All very low cost. It just takes time to do it.

Whats your budget, this is a good place to start. Most folks here will tell you the stove they have is the only way to go
I like this, I own a blaze king princes, It cost me a pretty penny to get, a Englander NC30 will do the same job, just run very differently and at the fraction of cost. A 1900 sq ft cabin with lots of single pane windows and sliding doors should be treated as if it was a 2500sq ft house, what ever you find try to go with the biggest fire box that can safely fit the fireplace.

Whats your budget, this is a good place to start. Most folks here will tell you the stove they have is the only way to go. most all of them are good choices, but I think it all depends on how much you want to spend or can spend, good luck

I have to disagree with this........... "Most folks here" are going to try to help someone find something that will work best for there situation. "Most folks here" never says that there is only 1 solution to the situation at hand. Matter of fact there are enough people that disagree with others just to show other options I believe that you will not get a better set of responses anywhere online or off.