Too many choices! I need help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
If you can fit a Jotul F45 it would be worth checking one out. I prefer the quiet of freestanding stoves and the F45 pumps out a lot of heat for its size. In fact this morning it was a balmy 9°F outside so I loaded it up with pine and throttled it up to a high cruising range of 600°F. Nice and toasty!

View attachment 232771 View attachment 232772

Zack, Nice looking fireplace conversion to a stove. I really like the block off plate that closes off the fireplace. And what I assume is a new slate hearth.

For all you shopping for a stove. Pay close attention to all the clearances requirements. Particularly the hearth requirements. All stoves are different. Some stoves require the hearth to be ember protection, just fireproof material, as Zack did. And many others require "R" value hearth, a much bigger deal.

I have a similar setup and I also wanted a freestanding stove. I put a small Lopi Answer (made by Travis) with a blower in the fireplace - works great. If you do that, make sure you get a block off plate installed above the stove. The newer Answer blowers are really quiet. The Answer has a double-wall construction so you don't get a lot of heat out the sides, and the blower does a nice job of pushing the air out of the firebox into the room.

Reactions: begreen