Top Auger problem or control board?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

pelletburner1110

Jan 6, 2018
Quechee, VT
I have a an Englander 25-pdvc/55-shp10 stove. The bottom auger seized up and the top auger jammed up as a result so I replaced both motors. I also noticed that the vacuum hose was cracked so I replaced that too.

The bottom auger runs fine but the top auger does not run. I verified that both motors work, by powering the top motor using the bottom motor wires, the top motor turns and runs constantly.

I bypassed the vacuum switch by jumpering the contacts together with a paper clip. The top motor is wired in but not connected to the auger so there is no load. It does not run. I also do not see line voltage at either of the vacuum switch wiring leads, or at the vacuum switch contacts on the control board.

I rebooted the control board and there is no change. It seems that the control board is bad. However if I disconnect the vacuum switch leads and leave them open, the unit goes into E-1 error mode after just a few seconds of operation, which leads me to believe that the control board is actually working.

Any thoughts on this?

You did a factory reset? Did you check which mode it is in? Mine defaults to A after reset. Is the pasages from the burn plate to combustion motor clean? Check vac line on exhaust side? Is the combustion blower impeller blades clean.

Looking at the back of the control board

60B8836A-5D32-40D5-8D95-5120C7204FC2.jpeg
Pins 3 + 4 are your auger feeds if you dont get 120vAC your gonna need a new board. The auger jam more than likely put a heavy draw on the circuit and shorted out the optioisolator that controls the triac, wich in turn can take out the auger timing on the prom chip.

Ssyko,

Yes I did a reboot of the controller starting it up with the "d" in the heat range. My unit was in "A" mode after I reset it and went back in pressing up and down blower speed buttons. On Pins 3+4 I'm getting voltage that cycles to 119v for ~4 seconds then no voltage for about 8 seconds, then back to 119, repeat. Then I cam across a note about keeping the "door ajar" vacuum switch port clean. I vacuumed this out and now the top auger is turning!

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

cool glad its working