Top baffle mystery part - BIS Tradition CE, Montecito, Ultima

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowman1112222

Jan 20, 2012
West
Newbie trying to put my BIS Tradition CE back together after taking the refractories out. I am not sure how this part fits in, and what would its purpose be? There are 2 of them.

In particular, it fits up by the tubes, but as far as I can tell it could go either above or below them. Owners manual does not show this part, but it does mention "Remove the side refractory holder. They are located at the top of the refractory." as the first step where they talk about chimney cleaning. Perhaps it is a "refractory holder"? If so, I don't see how you could remove it (first) without first removing baffles or refractories. BIS Ultima manual says same.

So, anyone here know what it is and where it goes? Any help much appreciated.

Attachments

• fireplace bit.jpg
    fireplace bit.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 660
That be the piece, up there between the middle two tubes.

Attachments

• 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,086
So the baffle sits on the part butted up against the upright.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but this thread contains the only reference to this "refractory holder" part I could find anywhere online, other than the vague single mention of it in the various BIS/Lennox manuals. I have a Lennox Montecito and I only seem to have one of these pieces. It somehow got loose and out-of-place and fell down, so I started researching what it is and how to put it back. I put it back as best I could based on Mastoo's photo.

Am I supposed to have two of these? Snowman1112222 said he had two, but he has a larger model fireplace than I do. Mastoo didn't specify if he had one or two.

What exactly is this piece supposed to do? As far as I can tell, all it does is slightly lift the top baffles on one side of the firebox. Is it to add a bit of additional airflow? I don’t see how it lives up to its “refractory holder” name at all, given that it’s not really holding the side refractory in any way, and it’s only one side, so why would the right side refractory need to be held, but not the left? It’s also kind precariously seated up there (which is why it so easily fell out).

Why doesn’t the “Installation and Operating Instructions” give any details about where it goes, what it does, and how it’s installed? It's not even listed in the "Replacement Parts List". It just seems very odd and I want to make sure I have it installed correctly and it's doing whatever it is it's supposed to do.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.