Top cap damper in steel firebox

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

justintvd

Oct 19, 2017
New Jersey
Hey all, I'm new here and took a look around and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. I just bought a home and the heatilator fireplace has a metal firebox with a throat damper that is very in need of being replaced. Advice of home inspector was to cut it out and install a top cap damper instead. Sounds simple enough. Since it's a full metal firebox, I'm wondering how to fasten the bracket that holds the cable to the top cap damper. Going into brick/stone in other fireplaces seems straightforward, but if this is a double wall box I'm not going to have a whole lot for the screw to grab, right? Any suggestions?

Attachments

• 2017-10-19 15.15.27.jpg
    2017-10-19 15.15.27.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 297
  • 2017-10-19 15.16.04.jpg
    2017-10-19 15.16.04.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 269
Hey all, I'm new here and took a look around and haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. I just bought a home and the heatilator fireplace has a metal firebox with a throat damper that is very in need of being replaced. Advice of home inspector was to cut it out and install a top cap damper instead. Sounds simple enough. Since it's a full metal firebox, I'm wondering how to fasten the bracket that holds the cable to the top cap damper. Going into brick/stone in other fireplaces seems straightforward, but if this is a double wall box I'm not going to have a whole lot for the screw to grab, right? Any suggestions?
Rivets sheet metal screws bolts into trapped holes there are lots of options. But if the damper is rusted out chances are that the smoke shelf is as well which could be dangerous and would make the fireplace unusable. It needs to be checked out.

Reactions: webby3650
Rivets sheet metal screws bolts into trapped holes there are lots of options. But if the damper is rusted out chances are that the smoke shelf is as well which could be dangerous and would make the fireplace unusable. It needs to be checked out.

Thanks, I had a company there today to clean it, they said from what they could see it looked good other than the damper. They wanted $900 to install the top cap, and that seems really high.

That’s very high. Unless your roof is crazy tall and steep, should be about half that amount.
Like was mentioned, it’s pretty hard to believe the damper is rotted out but the smoke shelf is ok. Typically the shelf is the first to go.

Reactions: bholler