Top insulation board came broken on my insert, ok to use without it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lucky Strike

Oct 13, 2021
NW
Got a Napoleon model GDIX4 insert and while unboxing everything with the installer we discovered that the firebox top insulation board was broken in half. Packaging all seemed fine but I guess it got jostled a bit too much in transit. It was grey colored and looked like some sorta 1” or so thick fiber/foam. Installer said he’d call it in and get a replacement ordered as a warranty item but in the meantime is it safe to use the insert? Eager to use it but don’t want to potentially cause any harm to the unit.

Last edited:
Glue it back together using furnace cement...it works well.

If you can get the broken one back from the installer and fix it that would allow you to burn until the new one comes in...unless they need it for some reason. If this is like a lot of things these days it could be a while until the new one comes...if they raise a stink about giving you the broken one to repair/use I would raise a bigger stink about not being able to use my new stove while waiting on an undamaged part.

That board serves a purpose. While it will burn without it, I wouldnt do it