Tractor Supply Sawdust Bricks - No Supply?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Actually this is not true.. an open fireplace that is set up properly produces alot of heat

My my family has a house that is over 200 years old.. fireplace in every room.. kitchen is down in the basement with a huge fireplace with a swing out hook for the giant pot.. and an earth floor.. no running water.. we would go there in the dead of winter.. light at least 2 fireplaces and that house was comfortable

You are correct that some fireplaces and the way people burn them will make a house cold.. but not everyone

My dad will set his up correctly.. I was over his house last winter... I was sweating in the living room..
Yes but I think the people using theirs in a pinch for the first time in who knows how long likely aren't using a properly set up one, or good wood.

Reactions: Woodsplitter67
I recall seeing some in a very old former residential building converted to business use. Several Rumford fireplaces - the main distinction is that they're very shallow.

I’m not a fireplace guy. I had to Google to see what the difference is between an old style fireplace and a Rumford. The pics are from Wikipedia. The first two are the old style, and second two are an old style converted to Rumford

4E82B0E1-4C14-480C-AAB2-2653F30BF6EB.jpeg9AE6FE55-B9ED-4C74-B6B2-1954444B16AC.jpeg1C4DEB72-9158-48A7-BE6A-CD71190A61FC.jpegB0A9E49A-34DF-44CB-8F1B-5F644640724A.jpeg

Interesting that it seems an obstruction was installed to convert the fireplace to a Rumford design, seemingly restricting air flow? Before I had a wood stove I used a Fireback - a thick piece of steel put in the back of the fireplace. It helped a little bit to reflect some heat into the room.

Speaking of the Sawdust bricks subject - I bought some Bio Bricks at a local grocery store, They're usually outside (kept dry) away from the main entrance and exit, so it may be that they're generally not known to be stocked. I sometimes have some on hand just to supplement what I have. What I notice, compared to some lower quality free wood I burn the stove runs significantly hotter. Of course there's a price to pay for that and convenience, but I didn't buy them for convenience.

Last edited: