Trail Camera Picture

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Pictures from the trail cam 2007, a skunk some racoons and a deer.

zap

Attachments

• SUNP0259.jpg
    SUNP0259.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 445
I wouldn't expect a skunk to have any other animals around it. I thought they were pretty solitaire animals.

Cool shot!

zapny said:
Pictures from the trail cam 2007, a skunk some racoons and a deer.

zap
Zap's petting zoo!

So....THAT'S what they are really up to when we're not looking!

Very cool shot!

One thing I've learned over the years is that animals have a way of "getting along" with each other... esp. "the night shift"! While we try to make sure they're in at night none of ur cats have never had a problem with skunks here and there are plenty of them around. Telltale scrapings on the lawns tell the tale of grub, earthworm hunting expeditions. My brother has shots of his cats sharing their bowl with a skunk that entered the kitchen via the cat door (now firmly closed at night, lol). No incidents of spraying or any skirmishes. I am less confident about cats and foxes, having seen an attack on an elderly cat result in fatal injury. Still, the fox was just doing his job, the cat was not at the top his game any longer and predation is all about "culling". Sad, but I bear no ill will to vulpine prowess. (No coyotes in my area yet, interestingly).

I hear 'coons all the time at this time of year. Lately, it's been a mother and kits that have been raising a ruckus in the trees across the street. We keep the trash securely in the garage until the morning of collection. But the number of neighbors who put their's out the night before (following the lobster cook out) and then complain about "vermin" (and refuse to pick up the strewn trash because it's, "gross") never ceases to amaze me. Ring the dinner bell, why don't you? are people really as stupid as I suspect? (probably more so, actually).

I know they're there and I know how to keep the line firmly drawn between their "shift" and mine!

Busted! Looks like you caught these party animals red handed.

We had a lot of skunks two years ago and one cat that wanted to be out at night. The skunks would be around from dusk to dawn and the cat never got sprayed. I always wondered about that. Now the foxes, they initially seemed to come around a lot, but now it seems like a new one comes around once in awhile and gives it's territorial call in the middle of the night. So far, they haven't taken any of the cats, but seem to be very curious about them. Very interesting picture for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.