Tree ID Help please...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pinnaclegf

Feb 10, 2023
Charlotte NC
Well, friend told me he had a dead oak cut down. Don't think thats the case. Lol
It was 20+ feet of straight tree before first real branches. That's why I took it.
Certainly doesn't smell like oak. Not much odor at all really.
Easy to split because of the lack of branches.
Since it was dead, weight was not an issue although not completely dry.
Pics are of bark and split round.
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!!

2023-02-10T17_58_07-05_00.JPEGIMG_5043.jpg20230210_163805.jpg20230210_163745.jpgIMG_5042.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not oak. Brown circle on the end looks like a round of poplar which would explain the "light" part. Bark does look coarse though.

Well, friend told me he had a dead oak cut down. Don't think thats the case. Lol
It was 20+ feet of straight tree before first real branches. That's why I took it.
Certainly doesn't smell like oak. Not much odor at all really.
Easy to split because of the lack of branches.
Since it was dead, weight was not an issue although not completely dry.
Pics are of bark and split round.
Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!!
Middle of the road fire wood?
Some friend he turned out to be! Told the tree guy "Gimme a discount; I know a sucker who'll take the wood." 😉
Classic Pooplar. Bark looks a little different here, but has the same light gray valleys in the bark. I got fooled on a few of those, thinking they were White Ash. Sometimes you will see purple hues in addition to the green/brown center. And yes, they tend to have very straight trunks..pretty trees.
I've used it for kindling. Same BTU as Pine, around 16 MBTU/cord. I consider "middle of the road" wood to be 20-22, such as Black Cherry or Red Elm. Primo here is 26-28, Red Mulberry, White Oak, Hickory, Black Locust, Persimmon, Dogwood. Then there's Hedge-apple as they call it here, on another planet, at 32.9 _g

The Two-lip will dry fast though, if you're over a barrel for burnable stuff to use next season.

Last edited:
+1 for Tulip-poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera)
Light weight wood that seasons quickly, splits easily (not always straight). It's a shoulder season wood. OK to use if you can spare the wood storage space, but at only 17.1 M Btu/ cord there are many other woods with a better heating value.

Reactions: Pinnaclegf
Poplar. Green in the middle tells the story. When I have to cut down a poplar, I throw it in the woods to rot.

However I did find a use for poplar last week, I bought an 8 foot hand rail at Lowes last week, it is made of poplar, very nice! Easy to work, with my drill and my belt sander. $45. Looks Good!

IMG_0002 (1).JPG

• Haha
Reactions: Stinkpickle