Tree ID.......I have no clue!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The wood color looks too white for Bradford, but that could be just saturation settings on the digicam, the leaves and bark look about right though. In TN. Bradford pear is decidedly orange-ish colored. But if that's what it is, it burns great (even green). Lasts a long time too.
Dub.

If it weren't for that one long leaf, I'd say Juneberry, which can get pretty big in the open or as ornamental. I see a lot of it in PA. Was the trunk real irregular? Were there multiple trunks?

Heartwood said:
If it weren't for that one long leaf, I'd say Juneberry, which can get pretty big in the open or as ornamental. I see a lot of it in PA. Was the trunk real irregular? Were there multiple trunks?

Yes trunk was multi trunk.....2 definitely maybe even 3.

Its not Bradford Pear.....leaves and bark do NOT match......

I think it must be some sort of ornamental. I planted something similar on a couple jobs years ago. I want to say it was a serviceberry, but not sure. Sometimes landscapers will get some odd stuff on close-out from a nursery, of you'll have a landscape architect put in some oddball stuff.

Yea it probably is. If no one on this forum has nailed it down yet it just has to be some sort of ornamental.....an old ornamental at that though.....

It has to be one of the heaviest woods I have ever come across. Might even be heavier than fresh cut oak. Its heavier than the black locust I got but I know that as low moisute content.

I'm still hanging up on Magnolia x soulangeana. It's an exotic ornamental, widely planted, and capable of considerable size. I'm just curious whether you have definitively ruled it out, and if so, on what basis?

I havent ruled it out but its definitely not "nailed down" slam dunk you know? :) Its possible though I just dont know much about them to rule them out. Others that I have ruled out I have stated so.

dannynelson77 said:
Heartwood said:

Yes trunk was multi trunk.....2 definitely maybe even 3.

Its not Bradford Pear.....leaves and bark do NOT match......

It's sounding more like Juneberry. That bark fits the bill perfectly, the multi trunks tell more--very common with Juneberry. One peculiar thing about Juneberry is that the branches will often start to twist, sometimes around one another. It's easy to confuse with ironwood in the shape and nature of it's trunk and branches.

PJ

The OP said leaf margins were smooth. All the Amelanchier species (Juneberry, serviceberry, etc.) I know about have serrated leaf margins.

I'm wondering if the smooth bark is because it was cut back when young and sprouted back with multiple trunks. Have you seen this tree at various seasons? If yes, does it flower and does it bear a type of fruit?

Brewmonster said:
The OP said leaf margins were smooth. All the Amelanchier species (Juneberry, serviceberry, etc.) I know about have serrated leaf margins.

Agreed. But I just went out front and plucked one. The serration on mine (ornamental) is very fine and only apparent toward the tips. And his pronounced tips are distinguishing; very similar to mine.

I know we shouldn't go by bark and trunk shape, but those pics are spot on to Juneberry. And other than the odd ornamentals, there's not a lot else around here that matches what I'm seeing.

One last thing. When we have mid-summer droughts, the Juneberries here have lots of intermittent leaves turn early while many remain completely green. I see just what I see of turned leaves from my trees in his pics on the ground.

There is no serration at all on the leaf. Completely smooth.

Also the pic was taken at my house after unloading it so surrounding leaves are not a factor.

This was a scrounge so I have never seen the tree before.

I actually might be back there on Sunday to get more wood so if the trunk is still there I can take a pic. Not sure I it will help us any but worth a pic I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.