Tree ID, Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CMAG

Sep 5, 2012
Long Island
wood 9 7 13 004.JPG wood 9 7 13 005.JPG
brighter red than my oak and splits are light weight

Looks like a good sized black cherry Great stuff ;)

Reactions: ScotO and pen
Cherry.

Reactions: ScotO
Thanks, I cut the rounds a year ago and most of the bark is falling off, had 25% water on meter when split

Cherry... looks like one I just cut down (I think mine is cherry). Super easy to split by hand and smells almost like water melon to me. Favorite smelling wood yet!

Attachments

• IMG_1638.JPG
    IMG_1638.JPG
    316.9 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1640.JPG
    IMG_1640.JPG
    307.6 KB · Views: 92
Reckess,
I don't think your wood is Black Cherry. The color of your wood isn't pink/ orangey enough, although it is not far off. The bark in your pics reminds me of Black Birch, which is similar enough to Black Cherry that Black Birch is sometimes called Cherry Birch. Black birch has a minty smell like birch beer.

Reactions: JOHN BOY
Reckess,
I don't think your wood is Black Cherry. The color of your wood isn't pink/ orangey enough, although it is not far off. The bark in your pics reminds me of Black Birch, which is similar enough to Black Cherry that Black Birch is sometimes called Cherry Birch. Black birch has a minty smell like birch beer.
K I will start a new thread then.

Now that's Cherry!

Status
Not open for further replies.