Tree service score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iskiatomic

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2008
Central CT
My guy with a local tree service dumped this on Thursday. Garbage stuff............WHITE OAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KC

Attachments

• Swamp people 011.jpg
    Swamp people 011.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 604
  • Swamp people 010.jpg
    Swamp people 010.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 581
Sweet! I just scrouged a white oak that came down last month during the freak snow storm. It took most of the day to cut and load it on a pick up back and forth to the house. I would much rather have it delivered like you! FYI, bucked it and split it today. OMG, this stuff is stringy in certain rounds.

KC - that white oak, it's just crap-wood. You should have refused it. I'd rather waste my time on like, cottonwood or worse, than that oak junk. Really though -- sweet score! Very cool.

stejus said:
Sweet! I just scrouged a white oak that came down last month during the freak snow storm. It took most of the day to cut and load it on a pick up back and forth to the house. I would much rather have it delivered like you! FYI, bucked it and split it today. OMG, this stuff is stringy in certain rounds.

You know it. Most all White Oak I cut over 8-10" diameter the X25 just bounces off or gets stuck.I have to break out the 20lb Monster Maul for them.Its never gotten stuck,not once in 30 yrs.Where with 90% of the Red/Black I have the X25 blows right through it.

Thats quite the delivery score. Congrats. Enjoy the BTU's ;-P

I'd say thats worth at least a case of beer for your tree guy. No telling what he'll drop off after that.

Awesome.
Great score.
Nice load in the trailer too.
That was Thursday, Where's the pics splitting & stacking, the week end is over?
Can't be the weather, I see shadows :)

Nice score......gotta get to cuttin' and splittin'

Man I just wish I could find a tree service that would deliver that "garbage" wood, or any wood for that matter.

You know it Shawn....too many woodburners in my neck of the woods. Most of the tree guys either take it for their own use or sell firewood on the side. That's a great gig, get paid to take down trees and then sell them for additional profit. Hard work but good $$.

i'm up in wethersfield and since you local,i have this question for you.
i had a nice score this past few days ago of the same white oak and red.if i cut and split it,is it ready for next year?
i drive around and see some people covering the wood and others don't,whats the best way to season(dry) oak?
thank yo9u
Dave

Ahhh...and the size is just right. I love playing with that size of logs. Each round produces a ton of splits.

If you leave it in rounds it will be dry by the turn of the century.

surfflyfish4stripers said:
oldspark said:
If you leave it in rounds it will be dry by the turn of the century.
no,i splitted it to around 3x3 inches thick x 20 inches long,pretty thin pieces.
I was refering to the OP pictures (sorry) I leave my wood uncovered until its ready to burn but some people cover the top only wihile curing, sounds like you split it a nice size for drying, single rows in the wind and sun will get you there the quickest, it might burn well next year but YRMV from others.

surfflyfish4stripers said:
i'm up in wethersfield and since you local,i have this question for you.
i had a nice score this past few days ago of the same white oak and red.if i cut and split it,is it ready for next year?
i drive around and see some people covering the wood and others don't,whats the best way to season(dry) oak?
thank yo9u
Dave

White oak should be ok in 1 year, Red oak in 2 or more.
I worked hard to get 2 years ahead, (3 years amount of wood on hand, CSS)
That way all the wood gets 2 years to season & I put it in a shed (basically just a roof) after 1 yr.
But you are way ahead of most, 1 year+ CSS, is very good.
Do a test burn with each (the white & red) next fall, see how it burns. Share your results :)
Location & weather has allot to do with how dry the wood gets in a year.

looks nice, the only thing missing is a christmas bow on top! What a gift!

basswidow said:
the only thing missing is a christmas bow on top!

Well, some snow would be needed too. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.