Trees changing already?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
In eastern Iowa and noticed my neighbors maple has a bunch of red leaves. Though it was kind of early.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Coming home from NE-WI yesterday I had this same discussion as I noticed several examples of color change in the maples amid otherwise lush green foliage. It is a strange August, they have seen lots of rain this summer and now in mid-August several nights with lows in the 40's.

It's been dry up this way for a few weeks now . . . but it doesn't seem to be affecting the trees much . . . at least not like last year.

On the other hand my wife called me on to the back porch the other evening as there was a flock of Canadian geese heading south.

Since this thread was started I've been taking note, and down by our cottage near Lake Ontario where generally it's just cooler temps, yes, I have seen some trees changing already. Mostly maples. One I saw was almost completely red.

Leaf change is dictated by decreases in sunlight (ie: less daylight). We always have hickory and maples changing this time of year. I hear the same things every year at this time but I think it gets exaggerated with a cooler than normal summer.

fv

Leaf change is dictated by decreases in sunlight (ie: less daylight). We always have hickory and maples changing this time of year. I hear the same things every year at this time but I think it gets exaggerated with a cooler than normal summer.

fv

Fall leaf color is more closely related to cooler night time temperatures and rain although length of daylight does play into it. The deciduous trees around here are still bright green, with no hint of color. We've had hot, dry days and night time lows have often been above 60F with recent dips down to mid-high 50's. However, I'm only 10 miles from the US/Canada border so our nights are probably slightly shorter than most people reporting fall color already.

No change as of my post on Aug 10.

11 days later while mowing hints of change are now showing all over the property.
Then there's always that one that goes way early every year. It's changing/ dropping a bit.
(white beech, green /turning yellow leaves)

I'm noticing some trees are turning brown and losing their leaves...but not really changing color. Kinda strange.
Maybe it is getting water logged for 3 months and now very little rain.

We saw a few trees this past weekend that were starting to change. They also finally lifted the fire ban in our town too, so I can have a nice little fire out back :)