Tricks or Tips

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wporter4

Sep 12, 2011
Western Ma
This is my first winter with the pellet stove and I have learned more about this type of heating from this forum than I ever imagined. I appreciate everyone's openness and willingness to assist. As a "professional tinkerer" I am always looking for ways to get more our of an investment and do things better. From reading the posts I have picked up a number of tricks for cleaning the stove. On lunch today I bought the parts required and this weekend I will build a pellet fines vacuum apparatus to lessen the dust caused by loading the pellets.

Any other tips or tricks - different tools or ideas folks have come up with over the years are greatly appreciated.

I tried the leaf blower trick AFTER giving it a good cleaning, and it worked wonderfully to clean out any residuals I had missed. Note to disconnect the vaccum sensor tubing so you don't accidentally blow the diaphragm.

I'm building that pellet/fines separator this weekend too!

Use some type of thermometer to measure your heat output. I use a magnetic stove thermometer on the side of the stove (inside the side panel/on the firebox) and also a digital electronic meat cooking thermometer. I have this placed inside of a heat exchange tube. To read the actual air temps. Make sure its not touching the steel. It will give a false reading.

This is the best way to tell which pellets burn hotter than others. Also X10 on the Pellet fines vacuum and leaf blower. I will never go back.

I have watched a number of videos on the leaf blower cleaning trick and will be trying that in the spring.

Good information on the graphite powder.

I saw another post this week about the thermometer - I will have to try that. Right now I only have one brand of pellets but I am sure that will change.

MrOletta said:
I tried the leaf blower trick AFTER giving it a good cleaning, and it worked wonderfully to clean out any residuals I had missed. Note to disconnect the vaccum sensor tubing so you don't accidentally blow the diaphragm.

I'm building that pellet/fines separator this weekend too!

thanks for the heads up on the vaccum sensor. I was about to try the leaf blower trick out

Don't be afraid to try the pellet brands available in your local area. Some brands may disappoint you, But every now and again some will surprise you!

I think it's good to know whats available just in case there is a pellet crunch. Having some first hand knowledge about the brand before hand is priceless. Hunting pellets in the dark is frustrating!

Status
Not open for further replies.