Trip home: Dang... Woohoo!... Dang... Woohoo!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
So I'm driving home and I see a huge line of cars where I want to drive. I really didn't want to sit in line and wait for them to move so I took an off shoot and cut through a subdivision.

While making a turn I glanced over and saw some landscaping guys stacking pieces of trunk by the road. I think... should I ask? I drove by and then thought, "What the heck." I turned around and asked if they were throwing the wood away and if I could have it. They said to take as much as I wanted. So, while in suit pants I hurriedly loaded about a 3/4 ton of wet maple into the back of my truck. The guys had to help me with some of the trunk pieces, and I may loose a fingernail that didn't get out of the way fast enough, but I got some wood!

I got home and pulled the chainsaw out. It won't start. I'll have to play with it tomorrow.

I changed clothes and rushed back over to the spot where they dropped the tree. I was able to pick up another 600 or so pounds before all that was left were small branches. On the way back I stopped at my Grandfather's house for a bite to eat and to see if he needed any help. (I'll frequently change lightbulbs, remove A/Cs, do yardwork he wants done, etc...) He's doing great for 87 years old. I mentioned the wood and he offered me his chainsaw! He can't see well enough to use it anymore, but wants it to be used. It's a little 14" bar, but it will take branches apart.

When I get his old chainsaw working again, it hasn't been turned over in 5 years, should I carry it in the truck? If I had a chainsaw, I probably could have carried more wood. Do you guys carry a chainsaw with you for scrounging oppertunities?

Matt

Love the subject line!!!

Reminds me of Homer Simpson!!

I love reading this stuff...All jacked up about free wood...It's like we hit the $25,000 jackpot..

Remember George Carlin's early work...Wake the dog, call the neighbors, get the six pack out the fridge...hard to believe..Yea baby!!!

Good for you!

I've been tempted to carry my saw in my truck for the same reason, but haven't....

1) don't want my saw walking off
2) usually dressed for work, don't want to get that dirty, nor be tempted to saw without protective gear
3) what do do with the cuttings? If someone is kind enough to let you take wood for free, you don't want to leave a mess of shavings and offcuts behind...

But I do carry a pair of workgloves in the truck!

-Dan

Awesome! It is almost comical how we get all jack-up over free wood. Like kids in a candy store. Gotta Love It!
I dont keep a chainsaw with me, but there are many times I wish I had. I have stopped several times at different places where wood has been stacked up, and asked about it. Everytime, though, it has been spoken for. The most recent was when I went with the family to pick Bluberries. I looked over the Blueberry Patch and lo-&-behold there was approx. 3 football fields of cut down trees. (The area was being cleared to expand the patch.) I asked right away about it and someone beat me to it by 1/2 hour!!!! DANG!!!! That sux!!!!
Well, anyway, good for you!
Mike

Does any one make a gun rack and a chainsaw rack for my pickup truck?

Bumper sticker I make frequent stops scrounging for wood.
Honk if you have free wood

Strange combination of bumper decals NRA and Be Green

I'm sure creative minds can come up with a few better bumper stickers

I wonder what message I would be sending to other drivers if my rear window rack had a double barrell gun, chain saw, and an axe

elkimmeg said:

I wonder whar message I would be sending to other drivers if my rear window rack had a double barrell gun, chain saw, and an axe

American By Birth
Wood Burner By Choice
Texan By The Grace Of God

Bylaws of the Amatuer Wood Scrounger Association suggest scrounging and procesing are distinctly separate activities. A truly opportunistic wood scrounger needs to be able to get in and get out quick - no fuss, no mess, leave only footprints.

elkimmeg said:

I wonder whar message I would be sending to other drivers if my rear window rack had a double barrell gun, chain saw, and an axe
Well Elk ......... I for one wouldnt be tailgating you.

you guys are killing me tonight. I just split my coffee twice reading these.

BikeMedic said:
Can you imagine the looks you would get with all that in your rear window!? Sounds like something from the Jackass movies.

Maybe Foxworthy... You might be a hearthforum member if you have chainsaw, rifle, pulphook, bucket of ashes, stovepipe hanging in your rear pickup window

I got another source of wood today from somebody I work with.

Last year the coworker and her husband took down 32 maple and oak trees in their front yard. They split it all and started to stack it, but ran short on stacking. Unfortunately they ran into some health problems and are motivated to sell the unstacked wood. They say there is just over a cord left on the ground that they will part with for $125.

I guess it isn't a steal, but when a regular cord of oak and maple sells for $250 it's not a bad deal at all. And this I should be able to start burning quickly. I figure the wood I scrounged will only be useful at the end of the season. I feel better for helping them out with some cash when they need it too.

I think I would be worried carrying a sharp ax by the back of my head. Stopping fast may get exciting!

Turner-n-Burner said:
I've been tempted to carry my saw in my truck for the same reason, but haven't....

1) don't want my saw walking off
2) usually dressed for work, don't want to get that dirty, nor be tempted to saw without protective gear
3) what do do with the cuttings? If someone is kind enough to let you take wood for free, you don't want to leave a mess of shavings and offcuts behind...

But I do carry a pair of workgloves in the truck!

-Dan

Dan,
I thought coveralls were made for just this situation. Keep some tucked behind the seat. That's enough for two or three, never know who might be with you. Throw in some extra gloves. Offer a stop for beers after the trucks loaded. With help you might not need the saw until you get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.