Trouble connecting metalbestos ss 8” chimney pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dudeextrem

Nov 14, 2018
Ohio
Hello everyone, first time posting here. After looking through the broad spectrum of topics here I can’t seem to find an answer to my question. I’m trying to reinstall a “metalbestos model ss” chimney on the back of my house. (Moved from the front last year). The original tee was very used and burnt out at the bottom so I decided to replace it. I found a tee on Craigslist that also came with extra pipe and a cap that I needed as well, win win I thought. After starting to install it today I tried connecting the sections of the old pipe with the newer stuff, both metalbestos ss, and the older stuff is about 1/4” bigger in diameter and won’t “lock” into the newer stuff. Has anyone else had trouble with this? Is there some sort of adapter that not aware of? Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• 366071EC-5A69-4DF0-A0C6-8EF7A564B23F.jpeg
    366071EC-5A69-4DF0-A0C6-8EF7A564B23F.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 1,349
  • 4B348268-0390-4C7E-B102-5B154425F4CE.jpeg
    4B348268-0390-4C7E-B102-5B154425F4CE.jpeg
    148.4 KB · Views: 497
different brands / models of pipe aren't interchangeable, it all needs to be the same brand / model / type of pipe to connect.

Thanks, I called Selkirk customer service and as far as we can figure out the stuff I had to start must be the supervent stuff from Lowes. The lady was quite helpful though and told me about the 3 Selkirk lines, super vent, sure temp, and ultra temp. She said the sure temp and ultra temp are completely interchangeable and are just mad of different grades of stainless steel. The stuff from Lowes is not comparable with anything but itself. Have a nice day

Reactions: Woody Stover
Thanks, I called Selkirk customer service and as far as we can figure out the stuff I had to start must be the supervent stuff from Lowes. The lady was quite helpful though and told me about the 3 Selkirk lines, super vent, sure temp, and ultra temp. She said the sure temp and ultra temp are completely interchangeable and are just mad of different grades of stainless steel. The stuff from Lowes is not comparable with anything but itself. Have a nice day

Hi, I have this same model "Metalbestos Model SS chimney". I emailed their support and got this reply:

"Just to let you know the model SS you have in place is suitable for burning oil or gas in Canada. Not wood. The codes changed in the 1980s and now you need a 2” insulated chimney 2100 degree rated."

Have you heard anything about this?

Hi, I have this same model "Metalbestos Model SS chimney". I emailed their support and got this reply:

"Just to let you know the model SS you have in place is suitable for burning oil or gas in Canada. Not wood. The codes changed in the 1980s and now you need a 2” insulated chimney 2100 degree rated."

I was told this as well. Think it changed in around '84, but like you say, in Canada. Looks like he's in Ohio.

Yes it needs to be rated to 2100 degrees but it doesn't have to be 2" insulation. Most are only 1"

Hey Guys, Selkirk got back to me and they said the chimney is good to go in the US. The neglected to answer why the change in regulations for Canada.

Potentially the temps being colder in Canada? Not sure... anyone's best guess???

Yeah, I was told the chimney requirement in Canada changed in the mid 80's to being able to withstand 2100F (from 1800F) for 30 mins, two times.

I do think it's stricter than the US requirement, but could be wrong. I certainly see lots of folks from the states using metalbestos on this forum.

Yeah, I was told the chimney requirement in Canada changed in the mid 80's to being able to withstand 2100F (from 1800F) for 30 mins, two times.

I do think it's stricter than the US requirement, but could be wrong. I certainly see lots of folks from the states using metalbestos on this forum.
Us is 2100 as well but i think it is 10 mins 3 times

Reactions: Nigel459
But regardless many are both ul and ulc listed

Not sure about metlvent never heard of that. As far as the ratings go, when I talked to Selkirk they said the metalbestos ss would work just fine for a wood burner and I hope so I’ve been burning for a month now. Haha. I ended up getting some joints of “sure-temp” from ace hardware and they fit together perfectly. (And was approved by Selkirk to do so as well) I have concluded the other stuff I had was the supervent line that Lowes, menards, etc carry. Everything fit together nice and the house is now warm too which helps with 8degree weather today. And yes I’m in Ohio not Canada, we burn cooler fires in Ohio