Trying to beat the warm weather to retrieve my Hickory.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Woke up to 30 degrees this morning. Had one job to do and came back with firewood on the brain. Ground was solid enough to venture across the hayfield and get 2 loads of Hickory. This pretty much gets me out of the field as the bulk of the wood is in the woods. I can get to that stuff without having to drive through the field.

Attachments

• hickoryload.jpg
    hickoryload.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 423
  • hickoryload2.jpg
    hickoryload2.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 387
looks like a good haul of wood there, is this a scrounge?

21 for a low here but now in the 40's. Looks like a warm week coming up. That should dry things out in the fields and in the woods too. Hey, that hickory is nice!

Storm damage from hurricane Irene. All of my wood is scrounged. Never paid for any or cut a live tree. Those 2 loads will add up to about 2 1/2 cords.

Frozen ground this morning again. Off we go! We being me, the dog and the Huskys (see sig).

It isn't the warm weather, that's already here, that I'm trying to beat, but rather the tenants. I have 2 market walnuts to get out this week and the tops from 3 White Ash need to be pushed back in the woods before they come in to spray herbicide. In general ten days or less post herbicide application they'll be planting corn.

we just got back from a cleanup job on the mountain. Was 30 when we got there, around 60 when we left. Even had a deer tick today! Looks like ol' Punxy Phil was way off!! :lol:

You were smart to beat the heat. I did some work today on my wood supply and It's already about to hot and it's only in
the 60's

Stephen in SoKY said:
It isn't the warm weather, that's already here, that I'm trying to beat, but rather the tenants. I have 2 market walnuts to get out this week and the tops from 3 White Ash need to be pushed back in the woods before they come in to spray herbicide. In general ten days or less post herbicide application they'll be planting corn.

Holy Toledo! Corn in March?! That truly is amazing as most folks around here plant corn in late April and May. It is also not uncommon to plant corn in June. We always figured June 10 as about the last date for planting corn here.

Well the morning run was 3/4 of a successful story. Unfortunately, the 1/4 failure was the most important. Got to the piles of Hickory and the Honda on the Husky splitter would not run. Fired intermitently but would not run. Checked for gas making the carb which it was. Messed around for 30 minutes and towed it back home. That was all of 3/8th of a mile. After trying a few things it was determined that the plug had a break in it. Off to town for a plug. 3 hours after originally arriving at the pile, I was back at it. Pic is the larger of the 2 loads taken out. I am guessing I will have 5 more loads like that one before the big tree is gone.

Attachments

• hickory3.jpg
    hickory3.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 137
Status
Not open for further replies.