Trying to decide between Progress Hybrid and Ideal Steel!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kiowa

Oct 25, 2007
East Colorado
We are replacing a ~1992 VC Defiant in our great room. after purchasing it about 1 year ago, I have been running it this year and it has some shortcomings to be expected from a stove of this era, deferred maintenance from prior owners means I cant trust it with larger, longer burning loads with out doing a full rebuild. The rebuild will be about $1500 and will just leave me with a rebuilt older stove. We love the looks, it is a center piece and want to find a new one to take its place.
I have been delighted to find the Woodstock Soapstone brand, reputation and selections, for us it is either the Progress or the Ideal Steel. Both will provide acceptable looks and they both seem to be revered as long burning, predictable performing stoves backed by a strong service oriented team.
This is current room the stove will be placed:

Great room pic.jpg

We really love the look of the Progress and the massive chest of soapstone tiles it has for a lasting radiant residual effects. One of the big differences is side load vs front load. I have always had front load, but this defiant stove is the first one with glass! I can make the side load work but with the location of the stove it will always be approached at a slight angle due to the brick surround. I will never be able to directly look or load in the firebox from the side, always with a slight angle. I am concerned about the ergonomics of doing that with heavier 20" oak splits. Less so with ash pan operations but same situation, angular approach position. This picture was during an attempt to organize the area around the stove, but honestly can represent the space in some real world conditions.
PXL_20221107_184615850.jpg

The Ideal Steel is ergonomically more friendly, its looks might be construed as trendy but I think it is still very tasteful. It appears that both stoves can perform the way we want them to and both are a huge improvement from our current one!

Has anyone had both? Anyone worked with a Progress with a similar approach as I am describing?

That’s a large home. The IS is larger and a straight in front loader. I would prefer the IS. Soapstone is not a benefit in my experience. Well, other than looks, it looks great.

We are replacing a ~1992 VC Defiant in our great room. after purchasing it about 1 year ago, I have been running it this year and it has some shortcomings to be expected from a stove of this era, deferred maintenance from prior owners means I cant trust it with larger, longer burning loads with out doing a full rebuild. The rebuild will be about $1500 and will just leave me with a rebuilt older stove. We love the looks, it is a center piece and want to find a new one to take its place.
I have been delighted to find the Woodstock Soapstone brand, reputation and selections, for us it is either the Progress or the Ideal Steel. Both will provide acceptable looks and they both seem to be revered as long burning, predictable performing stoves backed by a strong service oriented team.
This is current room the stove will be placed:

View attachment 303814
We really love the look of the Progress and the massive chest of soapstone tiles it has for a lasting radiant residual effects. One of the big differences is side load vs front load. I have always had front load, but this defiant stove is the first one with glass! I can make the side load work but with the location of the stove it will always be approached at a slight angle due to the brick surround. I will never be able to directly look or load in the firebox from the side, always with a slight angle. I am concerned about the ergonomics of doing that with heavier 20" oak splits. Less so with ash pan operations but same situation, angular approach position. This picture was during an attempt to organize the area around the stove, but honestly can represent the space in some real world conditions.
View attachment 303815

The Ideal Steel is ergonomically more friendly, its looks might be construed as trendy but I think it is still very tasteful. It appears that both stoves can perform the way we want them to and both are a huge improvement from our current one!

Has anyone had both? Anyone worked with a Progress with a similar approach as I am describing?
I also am looking at both stoves for our future. If I understand the options the PH can be ordered with a right vs left side loading door. It looks like you have room on the right side although I know pictures can be deceiving. what Is the current wait time for either stove?

I am a huge fan of my PH. Specifically:
The looks. The soap stone is an eye catcher and radiates heat perfectly.
The side load door. Never any ash spill, clean up when loading wood. Can get fire box nice and full. No regrets at all.

Reactions: kiowa
Big fan of my IS. Handles my huge open area, (about same size as your area) and with temps last night at -8f, and a high so far of 7, keeping my main living area up near 72-73 with loading every 7-8 hours with big rounds that burn very nice. Modern construction well insulated home, I love the huge front loading door that can handle big 20” long rounds without splitting.

Turn your ceiling fan on reverse, and that heat will flow all over your area. Also, do consider custom art, make it a centerpiece. I like the soapstone for providing longer overnight heat warmth, when burning hotter, sure it is not as important. But when I go to bed, the side soapstone with the stove cruising along is 180’+ when I am up 8-9 hours later, side stones are still 120-130 with stove temps of several hundred.

14CF69D2-B83C-4BA3-905B-FFBDC7EC8FC5.jpeg

Reactions: Da16652 and kiowa