"Trying to heat the whole neighborhood"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarotka

Minister of Fire
Sep 21, 2009
Northwest PA on the lake
All my friends complain about how stale the air gets in their homes during winter. I say what stale air I always have a window cracked. And yes dad "I am trying to heat the whole neighborhood".

Gotta love them wood-stoves, 20 °F fells like 10 °F outside, 75 °F inside with a window open for that fresh air :)

Maybe I'm overdoing it a bit at 75 °F inside but hey I worked hard for all that wood and D*** IT I wanna be warm!

It's my short week at work, had today off and the next two, furnace won't be running till Saturday when I go back to a 24hr shift.

I like your attitude!

It's 30F outside now going down to 22F tonight. Its 82F in the stove room with a fan and humidifier going (wife on the couch). I have a 65 gallon fish tank in the room and the fish all gravitate towards the stove. I'd swear they are mesmerised by the flames.

I had the front door open for half an hour and the temp dropped to 78F and the wife was getting cold! So yes I to can try to heat the whole neighborhood.
As a side note I yell at the kids for leaving the fridge door open to long!

My wife and kids have become very addicted to my stove, this is our first year with a wood stove and for the past 12 years all we heated with was a heat pump and the heat value of electric sucks and the furance hardly ever shut off in the heart of winter, so i took it upon myself to invest in a wood stove,got educated on hearth.com and have become a wood burning junkie, it hard to describe how good the heat feels with a wood stove, it a constant steady even heat that causes you to freeze to death at other peoples house that don't heat with wood i love it.

Nice thread name!

5 degrees this morning and windy.....colder than a witches well you know what. This is the worst heating senario for my house bitter cold and wind.

The furnace did not I repeat did not kick on all night and the t-stst was set for 66 in the back room. It was 75 degrees in our main room this morning. I spent 30 minutes at 6 this morning at full air setting trying to burn down the heap of coals (easily a 5 gallon bucket worth of coals) left from last nights loading at 9pm! My wife came out and asked what the heck I was doing. I don't get it as last night was the first night I left the stove running at an air setting that was not fully off, maybe 1/8 open and I was left with so many coals I need room in a 4 cubic foot firebox!

I love this stove! I've had some worries lately, I'm chalking it up to learning the do's and don't for this particular unit.

I also forgot to mention, the reason for this post, I had the house re-roofed this fall and replaced my cheap skylight with a Velux operable unit........last night while watching TV it got up to near 80 and instead of cracking a window I opened the skylight for the first time...........I forgot about it and went to bed. It was open all night!

RIDGERUNNER30 said:
My wife and kids have become very addicted to my stove, this is our first year with a wood stove and for the past 12 years all we heated with was a heat pump and the heat value of electric sucks and the furance hardly ever shut off in the heart of winter, so i took it upon myself to invest in a wood stove,got educated on hearth.com and have become a wood burning junkie, it hard to describe how good the heat feels with a wood stove, it a constant steady even heat that causes you to freeze to death at other peoples house that don't heat with wood i love it.

Same here as Ridge.

In the evening my LR gets into the mid 80's, and my wife is on the couch with a fleece blanket. Then she tells me it's hot. No ****! When we go up stairs now it feels cool, but it's in the lower to mid 70's (way hotter then it ever was with the heat pump). When I ran the heat pump in the winter I'd keep it on about 69. The thermostat is in the LR and if I had a fire (in the open fireplace) the HP usually didn't kick on. Going upstairs it had to be closer to 60 maybe lower. Hopefully having all this great heat from the stove won't make me to spoiled.

Status
Not open for further replies.