Trying to ID the trees I cut down please help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wattdogg

Jan 15, 2015
Indiana
ok I have been cutting wood with my dad since I was 10. I never really cared what the type of tree it was all I wanted to do is get it cut and get out of the woods. Now that I have started to cut my own wood ( I love it by the way and my young sons enjoy it as well) I want to teach them what woods to cut and not cut so I need to find the best way to ID the trees. I know the basics, real basics, like a walnut and sycamore see I told you I know basics ;) Is there a website out there to look at the bark or leaves to decide this? I cut one the other day thinking it was a nice hard wood and the dang thing turned out to be a cotton wood. I just found this site and absolutely love it thanks for the help in advance.

The Audubon Field Guide is excellent. It's got sections with foliage, fruit, fall colors, locations and is portable. It's kind of fun to be out with folks and be able to ID 50% of what I see and already know about the grain, weight, moisture, etc.

I just noticed you are in Indiana also. Here is a DNR list of some of the trees in Indiana. Only sketches of leaves shown and I think there are many missing that we have. But a start. I too have been trying to learn the different trees by bark alone and many look similar. But I enjoy the time in the woods.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/files/22_trees.pdf

Rich

if it is dead with bark falling off it is probably ASH. I see you are in Indiana so if you don't have dead ash now it is coming(unfortunately)

The upside is it makes exceptional firewood that seasons quickly compared to many others, splits relatively easy as well.

Thanks for the tips! I appreciate it. On a side note I just read McCormick state park in Spencer Indiana has ash trees they are giving truckloads away for $5. You can also bid on the logs as well.

I think the only way to learn tree ID is get a book and do one at a time. You'll find that your local woods are probably 90% made up of five or ten trees. It won't take long before you can ID most of the locals. One nice thing about tree ID is that you can learn most of the trees pretty quickly, but there are always a few new ones to learn.

Reactions: Applesister
wow thanks everyone; I cut some this weekend that had a little sap coming out it if the trees were pretty big and really heavy pieces. I found out from a neighbor it was cherry. I assume this is good to burn?

wow thanks everyone; I cut some this weekend that had a little sap coming out it if the trees were pretty big and really heavy pieces. I found out from a neighbor it was cherry. I assume this is good to burn?
Cherry is a very nice fuel. Seasons in one year and has medium to high BTU. Also smells great outside while burning.

If you have Black cherry, its a premium wood in general. It burns very well with a 1 year drying period. It cuts beautifully, splits well, smells incredible.
If you get it split soon you may be able to enjoy it next Feb/Mar/April.

Now that I have started to cut my own wood ( I love it by the way and my young sons enjoy it as well) I want to teach them what woods to cut and not cut so I need to find the best way to ID the trees.
There are certain things sons just expect their dads to know, this probably being right after knowing how to set up a tent or build a campfire. It's okay to cheat here, tho. I can ID most local trees when they're in full bloom, but have much more trouble when they're bare, this time of year. I just try to memorize the various trees of interest when they have their summer leaves, so I can remember them come fall. Around here, Ash looks a heck of a lot like Black Walnut of a given age and size this time of year, unless you can spot the opposing branches on the ash (Walnut has alternating branches). In summer, there's no mistaking them.

Status
Not open for further replies.