Two new draft comments from a professional. Valid?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Calentarse

Feeling the Heat
Feb 25, 2011
MD
I just spoke with a chimney expert in our area. He told me two very interesting things that I had never heard before; I am curious what you all think of them.

First, he said that the rotational direction of the earth lends itself to installing stoves on the northern side of the house. Stoves installed on the southern or eastern side of the house will inherently perform worse and be less efficient. Second, he said that where I live is a low spot in the area and I will always struggle with draft because of the elevation of where I live. Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldnt I struggle with draft for the exact opposite reason? The higher the elevation the harder it would be to get draft. Now, the air-quality will be poor in the lower elevations. Please bear in mind, I live at ground level so we are only talking about 20 to 30 feet differences.

Well his first point is complete bs the earths rotation has no bearing on it. What could effect it is the direction the wind typically comes from in your area.

His second point could be valid. Sometimes valleys can be an inversion area where draft could be a problem. Really that is uncommon. But i dont know your area.

Everybody is a chimney expert. I'm a sex expert because I have two kids right?

People used to prefer placing the stove on the north wall of a house because the north wall never got any sun and so it was usually colder. It made the house more comfortable to heat that wall and let the sun try and warm the south wall. Nothing to do with earth's rotation.

Well his first point is complete bs the earths rotation has no bearing on it. What could effect it is the direction the wind typically comes from in your area.

His second point could be valid. Sometimes valleys can be an inversion area where draft could be a problem. Really that is uncommon. But i dont know your area.
I live on the Delmarva Peninsula; I see you're from PA so you may know it. I live at sea level. There are no valleys.

We do tend to get SW winds. Perhaps that's what he's thinking. I may end up using them for my dealer because, like me, he believes Blaze Kings are the best stoves in the industry. Beyond that, we may use someone else for the install of the chimney. I think he is coming from a good place trying to get us to simplify our install and go pellet, but in the long run, I believe that we'll be financially better off with wood over pellet. We have a free wood supply.

Last edited:
Agreed, there may be some well intended thoughts behind it but it's not going to impact you. What matters more is the location/height of the chimney relative to potential obstacles to airflow, such as other parts of the house or trees.

'Expert' doesn't mean you know anything about anything, and apparently it also doesn't mean that you're bright enough to do a quick google search before you share your wisdom with the masses.

Your chimney location could actually matter if it's lower than the ridgeline; check too see what your local prevailing winds are if that's the case. NOAA has some great charts. (This has zero things to do with the earth's rotation moving the air in your chimney differently from the air outside your chimney? I can't count the number of ways that this idea is nonsensical.)

On a completely different note, I *AM* an expert, and anyone who is suffering draft problems should know that 87% of all draft problems are caused by gravity imbalances related to ducks (ducks contain dark matter). If you just chase away all the ducks, you might shift gravity too much and your whole house might collapse; your best bet is to harmonize your duck balance with a magic healing crystal from Jetsam Industries. Only $50 each today only, and they work better if you put one on every window in the house. Supplies are very limited, order fast.

Last edited:
'Expert' doesn't mean you know anything about anything, and apparently it also doesn't mean that you're bright enough to do a quick google search before you share your wisdom with the masses.

Your chimney location could actually matter if it's lower than the ridgeline; check too see what your local prevailing winds are if that's the case. NOAA has some great charts. (This has zero things to do with the earth's rotation moving the air in your chimney differently from the air outside your chimney? I can't count the number of ways that this idea is nonsensical.)

On a completely different note, I *AM* an expert, and anyone who is suffering draft problems should know that 87% of all draft problems are caused by gravity imbalances related to ducks (ducks contain dark matter). If you just chase away all the ducks, you might shift gravity too much and your whole house might collapse; your best bet is to harmonize your duck balance with a magic healing crystal from Jetsam Industries. Only $50 each today only, and they work better if you put one on every window in the house. Supplies are very limited, order fast.
I'll take two. Where do I send the money order?

Knowing a bit about how the earths rotation effects things (long range target shooter and weather geek)...Im calling horse hockey on that point. As far as elevation and draft...Ill revert to whatever the other experts here have to say. ;)

Ya, the 'expert' is blowing smoke. Ask him if the coriolis effect in the flue is reversed in Australia.
Ex (eks)= the unknown factor; xpert (spurt) a drip under pressure.

I may end up using them for my dealer because, like me, he believes Blaze Kings are the best stoves in the industry.
Well, so much for that "expert's" opinions. :p ;lol

Last edited:
First, he said that the rotational direction of the earth lends itself to installing stoves on the northern side of the house

;lol Wonder what he's been burnin in his floor models. Must be some real good stuff!

Reactions: lsucet
Ya, the 'expert' is blowing smoke. Ask him if the coriolis effect in the flue is reversed in Australia.
Ex (eks)= the unknown factor; xpert (spurt) a drip under pressure.
I thought "ex" is a has been and "spurt" is a drip under pressure, thus an "expert" is a jas been drip under pressure.

Everybody is a chimney expert. I'm a sex expert because I have two kids right?

Well, I guess two mistakes ain't bad but I reckon a true expert has a 100% record. ;lol

Reactions: Highbeam
Well, safe to say I can take anything this guy tells me seriously now :)