Two sided fireplace insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
A neighbor has a lovely open fireplace in his main living area with a fireplace in the middle that divides the space into two rooms. Openings on two sides.

It sucks the heat out of his house when he uses it.

He already invested in a pellet stove for his walk out basement, and geothermal.

I've mentioned how great our insert is in our open fireplace.

We live in the woods, so lots of fuel available to him.

Looking for suggestions for an insert for the two sided fireplace. Other suggestions welcome as well!

We've had an RSF see-through fireplace between our kitchen dining area and our TV room. It'll will make the house comfortable down to about 40 degrees. Holds a fire for a few hours, coals over night if you let the ashes build up a bit. Looks great, everybody that sees it likes the looks.

Not like what you are talking about, but I've seen some really cool gas fireplaces that were all glassed in. I don't know if they were vented or vent free of if they required an outdoor air kit or not. Sounds like he has heating covered - is this just for looks?

Not like what you are talking about, but I've seen some really cool gas fireplaces that were all glassed in. I don't know if they were vented or vent free of if they required an outdoor air kit or not. Sounds like he has heating covered - is this just for looks?
The house has enormous amounts of glass, and high ceilings. Even with the geothermal and the pellet stove, he reports high oil bills in winter. Having a wood burner that is an effective heater would help.

I feel like someone just last year or two years ago put in a two sided insert or something of the sort pertzbro might be talking about the same guy.

I've looked for one , and all of them are fireplaces that you need to build around. Not inserts. I don't think it exists a all

Thanks everyone. I've forwarded the Supreme info to the neighbor. Now he's talking about getting a chainsaw also.

You just confusing your neighbor . It’s a zero clearance fireplace , not an insert . It requires framing around it

You just confusing your neighbor . It’s a zero clearance fireplace , not an insert . It requires framing around it
Well, then we are in the same boat.

I'm sure if they want it bad enough, we'll keep talking to each other, and some professionals and the solution will present itself.

Oh, the Duet is a zero clearance fireplace. Ok.

Supreme has inserts as well. Check out their website and let me know if you have something constructive to add. Actually, doesn't even have to be constructive, entertaining at least would be nice.

I checked their website. Nice units and design. But there is s lack of info and reviews. We just going to close one of the sides and install traditional insert . Like Kuuma or Buck, or large Travis flush

I checked their website. Nice units and design. But there is s lack of info and reviews. We just going to close one of the sides and install traditional insert . Like Kuuma or Buck, or large Travis flush
I own one of these puppies and have several months experience with it. Search for my review = Supreme Duet. Would love to trade notes with someone else that has one.