types of fire starters....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just use the generic fire starters you can get at Wally World or even your local grocery store. $8 for a case of 24 works for me.

Tfin said:
I just use the generic fire starters you can get at Wally World or even your local grocery store. $8 for a case of 24 works for me.
Me too. I cut/break mine into halves or even thirds 6-8 bucks per season is hard to beat. As another poster said cut up duraflame logs are fairly cost efficient too (16-18 starts per log).

polaris said:
Tfin said:
Me too. I cut/break mine into halves or even thirds 6-8 bucks per season is hard to beat. As another poster said cut up duraflame logs are fairly cost efficient too (16-18 starts per log).
So Polaris, you are saying those fake logs they sell for $4 at the grocery can be used as fire starters by cutting then up?

a lame question from a newbie who has never lighted wood before...

Can I not use the butane lighter that I use to start my cooking stove to start a fire?

joesat78 said:
a lame question from a newbie who has never lighted wood before...

Can I not use the butane lighter that I use to start my cooking stove to start a fire?

Of course you can. This discussion isn't about what you use to actually strike the initial flame (lighter, match, propane torch, flint & iron, whatever)...it's about what it is in your stove to which you apply that initial spark. You don't have enough butane to get a 4" diameter round burning. We're talking about kindling...the small stuff you get burning that will heat and ignite the larger stuff, then larger and larger and larger. Rick

hmm... makes sense.
I'm gonna try and learn once the insert is here. Already started saving all the useless flyers & papers (not color, only black & white) that is left in my mailbox everyday.

Listen JoeSat, we were all novices at one time and needed help to get us where we are proficient and confident. Nope a lighter won't do unless you have 6 sheets of balled up full sheet newsprint (non-color) and a 12" teepee of softwood (spruce, pine fir, etc.) sticks about as thick as your middle finger...Maybe 12 sticks would be ideal ( for a beginner)....then successively throw small pieces of hardwood onto the fire until you have a good bed of coals going, at least 2" thick. Leave the the damper open and the door open during this startup. When your get a good glow on ...then it's time to throw on somewhat larger pieces of wood...build up slowly and never try to get rid of a piece of dampish wood while trying to get your fire going. Once it is a good blaze you can close the door and reduce the air (damper to the fire)
The rest you have to figure out by experience as a good wood stove is like a good woman....you got to know when to stoke and when to slow down....get a stove thermometer. It's good for only one thing and that is ....Is your stove's temp rising or falling? It'll take a good month or so before you get the hang of it ...
Good Luck Joe

Adios Pantalones said:
Of course you can, but you can't just pile up logs and put a lighter under it and expect it to catch.

One thing missing in Adios description of advanced fire starting ...always keep special mixture of Tonto's secret fire starting powder handy

I will give props to Super Cedars as being a great fire starter but I use these, with each of the "blocks" (24 per carton) broken into 3 or 4 pieces. They will fire up a cold stove in short order, and cheap to boot.

I buy them on sale (usually 6 or 7 bucks) and get just shy of 100 starts from a box (I break them into 4 pieces each).

Attachments

• pACE-1044621reg.jpg
    pACE-1044621reg.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 393
sawdustburners said:
Jags said:
I will give props to Super Cedars as being a great fire starter but I use these, with each of the "blocks" (24 per carton) broken into 3 or 4 pieces. They will fire up a cold stove in short order, and cheap to boot.

I buy them on sale (usually 6 or 7 bucks) and get just shy of 100 starts from a box (I break them into 4 pieces each).
so u can get a piece of that stuff under a splitspile & it'll lite?
no kindling or....whats the specs?

Egg-zactly.

1/4 of a bar on bottom, tick-tack-toe style above that, a couple decent splits, one match, 15 min.........I HAVE MADE FIRE!!

JPapiPE said:
Jaggs...Now where can you buy those super starter cedar logs for such a cheep price? And does one not need assenble kindling wood with this product?

The pictured box does not represent the Super Cedar fire starters that have been mentioned above. The box is of the style that I use and can be purchased at Menards, hardware stores, and some home stores. I have even seen it at Kmart and Wally world.

My "kindling" is usually pieces of softwood, but not real small. Basically this stuff will light up small to med. sized splits (assuming that it is dry) in pretty short order. Even at 1/4 of a bar, it will be flaming and hot at the 15 min. point (which has usually ignited the fuel load by then).

Note: my kindling comes from work and is typically pine boards about 1-1/4" x 2-1/4" square stuff (shipping waste that would normally hit the dumpster). I cut this to 12-16" lengths specifically for the tic-tack-toe style stacking as mentioned above. After a year in the sun, this stuff lights up by sternly pointing your finger at it.

Yes, you'll need kindling...perhaps not as much or as small. You'll need not hassle with newspaper. They'll send you a couple to sample for free with an e-mail mentioning your participation on hearth.com.

http://www.supercedar.com/

fossil said:
Yes, you'll need kindling...perhaps not as much or as small. You'll need not hassle with newspaper. They'll send you a couple to sample for free with an e-mail mentioning your participation on hearth.com.

http://www.supercedar.com/

And I have tried them, and they work as advertised. (smell good too :) )

Jags said:

The ones I bought are square lenghts that break into 4 triangular sticks (similar to pic below). I break these into six pieces each, so I get 24 starts instead of 4. The box states 48 starters, but I get 6X the number of starts (I've still got enough for this season!)

firestarterlogs.jpg

JPapiPE said:
All right from you gentlemans words i just ordered 100 sticks of Cedar starters

Joe - just so your not surprised when you get them, the Super Cedars are actually round, and I believe now come with a stamped face that will allow each "puck" to be broken into 4 pieces.

JPapiPE said:
All right from you gentlemans words i just ordered 100 sticks of Cedar starters

did the same a few weeks ago.. noticed the new ones are a bit lighter in color than the old ones and they now have a 4 way indent on them whereas last year it was a two way indent - i break them in 1/2 to start a fire and maybe i'll split a few splits (kindling) but most times i just toss the splits on top of the super cedar and away it goes

love them!

Read the new Farmers Almanac for 2009... Bad news for the North East...large snow and bitter temps... I wish I had me somw black beayty to snuggle up with... like the bears do and wait for spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.