Update: Stove install - Jotul 404

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jordan

Apr 25, 2018
emmett, idaho
Thanks for everyone’s input and posting on this site. Truly the best source for my install. Here are some photos to share and hopefully aid someone else in the future. Stove is a Jotul 404.
Rear Through wall install and then through soffit. Required custom brackets on exterior. Roof pitch is 11/12.
I custom made the wall panels. Steel sheet that I hand hammered totally 80
Hours.
Been using the stove exclusively for heat, cooking, and baking all winter.

Attachments

• B93DC965-F08C-4653-9E18-D4A03750A87B.jpeg
    B93DC965-F08C-4653-9E18-D4A03750A87B.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 703
  • F61AD9B7-DFB6-47E7-B26A-A5B24CC8F127.jpeg
    F61AD9B7-DFB6-47E7-B26A-A5B24CC8F127.jpeg
    94.3 KB · Views: 750
  • 54E0BC6E-CEF8-4EFA-B314-FD8294BD1C57.jpeg
    54E0BC6E-CEF8-4EFA-B314-FD8294BD1C57.jpeg
    141.7 KB · Views: 417
  • 107CE544-6690-4CD8-980C-D3B971414564.jpeg
    107CE544-6690-4CD8-980C-D3B971414564.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 438
Exterior and pipe install.

Attachments

• A155B953-8E8D-4937-ADE1-9A1868182BB9.jpeg
    A155B953-8E8D-4937-ADE1-9A1868182BB9.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 400
  • C3A4A13C-5974-4584-BA44-294508DDCEDB.jpeg
    C3A4A13C-5974-4584-BA44-294508DDCEDB.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 364
  • 62F606BB-9810-42A6-B09D-2B1E4E1E9A21.jpeg
    62F606BB-9810-42A6-B09D-2B1E4E1E9A21.jpeg
    84.5 KB · Views: 359
Looks nice! I missed out on a 404 locally a little while back. They only wanted $125 for and it looks pretty nice.. ohh well.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Nice setup. Guessing you have installed pipe support braces since these pics? Nice place!

Man thats a nice set up....and nuthin like vittles on the stove. Did you install....if so even better mustache my friend.

Looks nice! I missed out on a 404 locally a little while back. They only wanted $125 for and it looks pretty nice.. ohh well.
Thats a steal at that price.

I lucked out on this stove. Got it before buying the property I built the house on. Took 6 years to get to this point. The stove was brand new....never installed or fired up.

Reactions: webby3650
That's cool. I assuming this is not the cooking stove you use every day, I to designed and built my cabin. One of the nicest things was to design the stove to be the focal point in a large room.

That's cool. I assuming this is not the cooking stove you use every day, I to designed and built my cabin. One of the nicest things was to design the stove to be the focal point in a large room.
In the winter months it does all our baking, cooking, and heating.

This is our primary residence. Not a big house at 742 square feet. Although this stove lives in a space with 1.5 stories and open vault.

Attachments

• IMG_5459.JPG
    IMG_5459.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 386
Looks awesome! I love these little 404's

Looking good, I have one I plan to be using some day. The going rate out east for these are $1000 to $1500. There is one on Ebay currently listed for $1300. I am surprised you can heat the house with it, you need to be patient as the firebox is pretty small, great for cooking but not so good for long burns.

Does your have the cast iron device shown in the loading door? (this is a screen grab from a current Ebay listing). Mine came with one but its not shown in the parts break down. Its probably is a secondary air baffle but would further limit the size of piece of wood that would fit in the firebox. Its designed to swing up but when its in the up position it will slide out of the tabs and possibly end up on the floor.

1582112484201.png

Looking good, I have one I plan to be using some day. The going rate out east for these are $1000 to $1500. There is one on Ebay currently listed for $1300. I am surprised you can heat the house with it, you need to be patient as the firebox is pretty small, great for cooking but not so good for long burns.

Does your have the cast iron device shown in the loading door? (this is a screen grab from a current Ebay listing). Mine came with one but its not shown in the parts break down. Its probably is a secondary air baffle but would further limit the size of piece of wood that would fit in the firebox. Its designed to swing up but when its in the up position it will slide out of the tabs and possibly end up on the floor.

View attachment 257302

The limited size of the firebox does make for some planning. Ive found that the compressed logs you can buy last much longer and maintain a hot coal afterwards. I break one in half and put it in at night. With kids I got to get up at some point anyways. Mind you its not the best option for heat alone but add the benefit of Cooking and Baking each day and Its hard to be upset. Since my house is small and half of the year it wont be in use spending 4-5 times more on an ESSE doesnt make sense. Theres not many options in a small footprint and I have an affinity to cast stoves.

If I ever get the chance for an addition I will add another stove. Already have a Jotul 606 for that need.

My stove did not include that device and is not in the parts diagram. I wondered what those dovetails were for and intended to do some research. Not sure how it is a secondary air baffle? Looks more like a brace to keep the door from falling open. My guess for loading the stove from above since you can get larger pieces in that way. Maybe for coal burning which would explain why Its not included or in the USA manual.

There is no "going rate" for these out west. They almost don't exist out here. Its extremely rare to find one listed.

Ive got a growing supply of stoves so I understand having a few lay around. Currently up to 8 in waiting.

They do tend to be rare even out East, they were imported by Krista Associates to Gorham Maine prior to Krista being forced to sell out Jotul USA. One claim is they only brought one load over. I had been keeping an eye out for years and they would get snapped up quick. I at one point was in touch with a guy in southern NH. he grabs the good looking ones, clean them up and sells them as decorations to interior designers restoring homes in the richer areas of Massachusetts where they are lot of older homes that had wood stoves at one point. He would pay up to $1600. He wouldn't tell me how much he sold them for but I think it was in excess of 2K.

There is currently the one on Ebay and one was on Craigslist in western NY a couple of weeks ago. Great minds think alike as I have a 606 sitting in my basement waiting for a future use that I inherited. A FYI, typically a wood cook stove doesn't need a rating plate but a woodstove does to keep the insurance guys happy. I don't think a 606 has one as it too was only imported a short length of time back in the 1980s.

That piece just pivots on top. If you push a small piece of wood against the bottom it swings up into the fire box so you can load a split in. Unfortunately if you lift up on it while its swung up it is not limited in travel and might fall off the ledge and on the floor. The guy I bought it from claimed it was for coal but he had never run it. There are casting numbers on it but they don't cross over to the manual.

By the way one of the online suppliers still sold a grate for it as of few years ago. Mine had a crack and wanted to get one before they went out of stock. I expect the demand for parts is pretty slim.

Sweet little stove. It's nice to see it got a good home. You've done well.

Reactions: Jordan
@peakbagger My insurance company just wanted the final approval from the State Inspector and a photo.

I have an extra bottom grate for the burn chamber. Is that what you mean? I bought the 606 and to my surprise there was a brand new 404 grate inside.

Yup, its the rectangular cast iron slotted grate. Mine looked good but it had a crack in one of the slot bars. My new grate came with warning to "season" the grate by heating and cooling it in an oven.

Thanks for everyone’s input and posting on this site. Truly the best source for my install. Here are some photos to share and hopefully aid someone else in the future. Stove is a Jotul 404.
Rear Through wall install and then through soffit. Required custom brackets on exterior. Roof pitch is 11/12.
I custom made the wall panels. Steel sheet that I hand hammered totally 80
Hours.
Been using the stove exclusively for heat, cooking, and baking all winter.
Hello, just following up on how you like the Jotul 404. I know it’s a cookstove but does it warm the kitchen too?
Britt