Upgrade to Stihl 034AV?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JA600L

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2013
Lancaster Pennsylvania
Hi guys,
I'm playing the craigslist game with a guy trying to sell a cheapo 4 wheeler that's only worth about $200. He offered me a trade for a Stihl 034AV saw. Good condition, starts on the first pull, chains dull though. I currently have a Poulan Pro 20" bar pp5020av saw with Oregon bar and stihl chain. Is this a good upgrade for me or should I walk away? Thanks.

The 034 is a solid saw....I am confused as to what the trade is?

The 034 was a step brother to the 036 at 56cc and an advertised hp of 4.6. If it is a good performer you are in the 250-300 dollar range for that saw.
Not really even comparable to the pull-on. That’s like comparing a ford ranchero to a F250. Quite a performance upgrade when it comes to knocking out firewood.

ETA: that range of cc’s and HP paired to an 18-20” bar using stihl RS chain is probably one of the best all purpose combo’s for firewood that I know of. Yeah - some want bigger, some want lighter, etc. but for general purpose firewood, that is the combo in my opinion.

The Stihl is a step up from your Poulan...
How much wood do you cut and do you need more of a saw?
The Stihl should be easier to sell than a cheapo 4 Wheeler,it will sell for more $ than your Poulan
If you clean the saw and sharpen the chain you can probably get $300-350 for the Stihl

The 034 was a step brother to the 036 at 56cc and an advertised hp of 4.6. If it is a good performer you are in the 250-300 dollar range for that saw.
Not really even comparable to the pull-on. That’s like comparing a ford ranchero to a F250. Quite a performance upgrade when it comes to knocking out firewood.

ETA: that range of cc’s and HP paired to an 18-20” bar using stihl RS chain is probably one of the best all purpose combo’s for firewood that I know of. Yeah - some want bigger, some want lighter, etc. but for general purpose firewood, that is the combo in my opinion.

More like a Subaru brat to an F250

The Poulan Pro 5020 is actually a pretty decent saw. I did upgrade the bar with a good chain. It's kind of the flag ship of the brand and I believe it's actually built by Husquavarna too.

The Stihl is a step up from your Poulan...
How much wood do you cut and do you need more of a saw?
The Stihl should be easier to sell than a cheapo 4 Wheeler,it will sell for more $ than your Poulan
If you clean the saw and sharpen the chain you can probably get $300-350 for the Stihl
That's what I paid for my new one with warranty

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Your buying 036 new for $300 350 with warranty... awesome

Exactly what did you get new with warranty for 300-350? And when?