Used Jotul F500 questions, serial number look-up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

skeenut

Aug 8, 2017
Lafayette, NJ
Hi all,
I'm new to forum. Have heated with wood for about thirty years and was always a Vermont Castings guy.
Just downsized to a 1500sf ranch with a nice open floor plan. The house came with a nicely installed 2004 Hearthstone Heritage that had been REALLY used. Warped door, missing grate and cracked in the back. Needs replacing. Narrowed my contenders down to either a Hearthstone Heritage, a Lopi Rockport or a Jotul F500. Leaning towards the Hearthstone because it looks nice.
Anyhow, compulsively checked Craigslist and found a used F500 within an hour's drive. Cheap too, $650.00. Owner states via text that it's in excellent condition. I'm going to chat with him tomorrow and maybe go have a look. He doesn't know how old the stove is, but was willing to share the SN with me to maybe track it down. Does anyone here have access to a database to cross reference Jotul SN's? It's 008950.
And any pointers as to what to be looking at when I go inspect the stove would be great. He said the top had a crack but it had been, "professionally repaired." That worries me. Can a crack in the top of a F500 even be repaired? Where else do these fail? Can baffles be replaced whether cast or vermiculite? Where do these guys warp? Am I crazy?
Well, thanks in advance for any sage advice or scoldings.
Jeff, Lafayette, NJ

Cracking in the top of an F500 is not common. Not sure what is meant by professionally repaired, muffler shop weld? Is the stove painted or enameled? If painted, look for whitish grey areas where the paint has been overheated. Look for cracks around the flue collar base. And look for cracks in the stove base surrounding the firebox grate. Check the secondary rack and look for warpage.

Replacing the top would be the only professional way to repair it.
I'd say you may be crazy, if you went with another Hearthstone after seeing how they hold up!;lol

Thanks Begreen.
Here's one of the CL shots of the stove. It's doesn't look enameled or painted.
00W0W_gshvN0P3fY9_1200x900.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Begreen.
Here's one of the CL shots of the stove. It's doesn't look enameled or painted.
View attachment 199053
That's painted. From the little showing in the picture it looks worth checking out. Find out how the top was "repaired".

Last two available images. Could those bolts in the top back by the flue collar be "repair" related? Or is that the normal bolt pattern?
00101_bI2JYjAcCbx_1200x900.jpg 00909_fB2Isf6RxaD_1200x900.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck! I have an Oslo that I paid $2500 for new two years ago.
What a great stove.

I also am a former Vermont Castings guy. They made really good stoves up until about 1993.
Had a 1988 Resolute that was a world beater.

But the Oslo is a wonderful stove. Good luck with that used one, hope it works out.

Good luck! I have an Oslo that I paid $2500 for new two years ago.
What a great stove.

I also am a former Vermont Castings guy. They made really good stoves up until about 1993.
Had a 1988 Resolute that was a world beater.

But the Oslo is a wonderful stove. Good luck with that used one, hope it works out.
Hey Simonkenton,
Thanks for the good thoughts! Just trying to wrap my head around this "professional repair" to the top. I may not be able to get past that.

Last two available images. Could those bolts in the top back by the flue collar be "repair" related? Or is that the normal bolt pattern?
View attachment 199057 View attachment 199058
Yes, those bolts are not stock. Can you get them to send some more close up shots of the repair?
FWIW. if there are no issues other than this then replacing the top may be an option.

Begreen,
Yes, replacing the top would be good. Have F500's gone through model changes that I would need to be concerned about getting parts? Or has it remained basically unchanged throughout its life?

They did change the baffle design maybe a decade ago. The original was cast iron. It was replaced with a vermiculite baffle and insulation blanket. I think you can update the older cast iron baffle with the current vermiculite baffle if you find the baffle in this stove is the old style and is warped or cracked.

Jotul is pretty good about stocking older parts. @stovelark can provide more specifics about older parts, but I wouldn't expect this to be an issue with a Jotul F500.

Last edited:
Be sure to inspect the inside of the stove near the bottom grate.Make sure there are no cracks as people are prone to starting the Oslo with the ash pan door open which will cause the bottom plate to crack.I would think you should be able to get most replacement parts through a Jotul dealer.I also bought a used Oslo.I rebuilt mine from top to bottom and am anxiously awaiting colder weather to fire it up!

Be sure to inspect the inside of the stove near the bottom grate.Make sure there are no cracks as people are prone to starting the Oslo with the ash pan door open which will cause the bottom plate to crack.I would think you should be able to get most replacement parts through a Jotul dealer.I also bought a used Oslo.I rebuilt mine from top to bottom and am anxiously awaiting colder weather to fire it up!
Hey Smokey Jeff! I'm a Jeff also. Skeenutjeff.
Where in Central Jersey are you? We're up in Sussex County, Andover Township.
How was your rebuild project? Are you an old pro at stove rebuilds? I'm going back and forth about whether to take on a potential project vs. just biting the bullet and buying new. I guess it also comes down to dollars: What did you end up replacing? How much did you ultimately save when you factor in your purchase price, parts and transportation/postage and your hours and skinned knuckles. We almost did this with a 2004 Hearthstone Heritage, was going to be $1200.00 in repairs by a pro and we'd still have a cracked base.
So I'm thinking new Hearthstone Heritage delivered and set up, about $3500.00, Lodi Rockport, about the same $3500.00, Jotul Oslo about $2900.00 or this project Jotul Oslo that at least needs a new top ($187.) and gaskets etc on top of the $650.00 acquisition.
I'm getting a NASTY case of ANALYSIS PARALYSIS. MY HEAD HURTS. Wife wants the Soapstone. That's where we're aiming, unless I can make a good case for the new Jotul Oslo. H.E.L.P.

If you get a used one that is a dog, you will wish, big time, that you had just bought a new one in the first place.
Your cost for the new Jotul, delivered and installed, is $2900.
I told you I bought an Oslo two years ago for $2500. But, I picked the stove up and then, paid to get it installed and get the pipe put in etc. So, your price is pretty good.

Good luck on your new project I hope you make the right choice.

Hey Smokey Jeff! I'm a Jeff also. Skeenutjeff.
Where in Central Jersey are you? We're up in Sussex County, Andover Township.
How was your rebuild project? Are you an old pro at stove rebuilds? I'm going back and forth about whether to take on a potential project vs. just biting the bullet and buying new. I guess it also comes down to dollars: What did you end up replacing? How much did you ultimately save when you factor in your purchase price, parts and transportation/postage and your hours and skinned knuckles. We almost did this with a 2004 Hearthstone Heritage, was going to be $1200.00 in repairs by a pro and we'd still have a cracked base.
So I'm thinking new Hearthstone Heritage delivered and set up, about $3500.00, Lodi Rockport, about the same $3500.00, Jotul Oslo about $2900.00 or this project Jotul Oslo that at least needs a new top ($187.) and gaskets etc on top of the $650.00 acquisition.
I'm getting a NASTY case of ANALYSIS PARALYSIS. MY HEAD HURTS. Wife wants the Soapstone. That's where we're aiming, unless I can make a good case for the new Jotul Oslo. H.E.L.P.
Can you start a new thread on your stove needs and choices. We need to know a lot more about the house and the installation and what the priorities are in order to help here. Start by telling us more about the house, floorplan, ceiling height and how you intend to use the stove.

Can you start a new thread on your stove needs and choices. We need to know a lot more about the house and the installation and what the priorities are in order to help here. Start by telling us more about the house, floorplan, ceiling height and how you intend to use the stove.
OK, started new thread.

Reactions: begreen
HI skeenut- wanted to chime in and let you know about that Oslo. They are now around 2559 new retail, we sell them for 2356.00 matte black. If you want an enamel, they are about 400-500 more. That repair on the top looked a little suspect to me, replacing it for around 200 dollars would be the better fix. A new vermiculite baffle and blanket is about 100 dollars more retail. Was the rest of the stove ok? If so, it is still well worth repairing it. That serial no. is pretty low, I'd say by it that your stove was built in the early 2000;s. Jotul has a changeout sale running now, trade in your old stove or if you are putting it in a fireplace, you can get a new Oslo for 2056, that's a good price too. Anyway, take care and of course do what makes the wife happy, smart fellas usually do......