USSC 6041 PT up and running

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyDaug

Dec 26, 2010
Maine
I just finished installing it today, and its up an running. I picked up one bag of pellets at my local hardware store to get started. They are Infernos, which I have heard they had issues in the past. Local Lowes carries Maines Best for $187 a ton. I may pick up a few bags of those to try tomorrow before I commit. The bag of Infernos seem to be doing OK, but its only been up and going a few hours. I'll know more when I shut it down and inspect things.

Do NOT buy the Infernos....one of the worst pellets going for the past 2 years. I'd take a chance on the Maine's Best first...run at least 3-4 bags of them through the stove to make sure.

You need to do more searching for better pellets....those aren't great choices, IMO.

Thanks for the input Imacman. I picked the bag of Infernos as an impulse buy. I was picking up a few things at my local hardware to finish install, and knew I would want a bag to try it out. Inferno's is what they carry. The local Lowe's carries Maines Best, and I saw Freedom Fuel, and one other brand which I forget at HD. I also have seen Great Northern, formerly know as Lakes Region fairly reasonably in my area. Am I foolish to be looking in the sub $200 price range?

My USSC 6041 PT has been up an running for 3-4 hours now. I have started to see an oily substance running down the inside top of the glass. It appears to be coming from the door gasket area. Is this normal?

ScottyDaug said:
My USSC 6041 PT has been up an running for 3-4 hours now. I have started to see an oily substance running down the inside top of the glass. It appears to be coming from the door gasket area. Is this normal?

If you had a good pellet in the hopper I'd worry. But the Inferno's(inferiors) could be the issue here! I know the 6041 is a multifueler, But those pellets push things! Yuk!

LOL.. J-Takeman. Luckily I only picked up one bag. Do have some suggestions for what pellets I should try here in the Northeast?

ScottyDaug said:
Thanks for the input Inferno. I picked the bag of Infernos as an impulse buy. I was picking up a few things at my local hardware to finish install, and knew I would want a bag to try it out. Inferno's is what they carry. The local Lowe's carries Maines Best, and I saw Freedom Fuel, and one other brand which I forget at HD. I also have seen Great Northern, formerly know as Lakes Region fairly reasonably in my area. Am I foolish to be looking in the sub $200 price range?

Have no idea what the substance running down the glass is, but it's a new stove, and you have to give it some time to burn off any stuff left over from the manufacturing process. Make sure you run the stove on medium heat or more. See if it stops after a few hours, shut the stove down and clean the glass & try again.

As for the pellets you have available, the Freedom Fuel isn't a top grade pellet, but is the best of the bunch you mentioned. I'm curious what the other ones you couldn't remember are......if they happen to be Stove Chow, grab a bunch of bags of those...they have gotten very good reviews here.

If they are the Chows, and they burn well in your stove, grab a ton of those at the sub-$200 price.

Imacman,

The only image I could find for Stove Chows online was a white bag with a green tree, the ones at HD was in a black and red bag.

Attachments

• Stove Chow bag 1.jpg
    Stove Chow bag 1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 250
Nope.. unfortunately wasn't those.

A black & red bag are probably Fireside Ultra's....Jay, do you have a pic of that bag?

They was Fireside Ultras for sure.

ScottyDaug said:
They was Fireside Ultras for sure.
Not a good pellet either. Looks like you're in the "pellet desert" of Maine :p

I think you should try 3-4 bags of the Maine pellets, and 3-4 bags of the Freedom Fuel.

You might want to check other HD & Lowes in surrounding towns....they sometimes have different pellets. Also check Tractor Supply if you have any nearby, and any feed supply or garden centers.

Imacman,

I checked Tractor supply they had "Instant Heat" brand for $219 per ton.

ScottyDaug said:
Imacman,

I checked Tractor supply they had "Instant Heat" brand for $219 per ton.

Nope, those aren't going to cut it either....they're on a par heat-wise to the Fireside ultra's.....not good.

And your pellet search continues....... :)

About 15-20 minutes from you Smokey.

I saw some of the Maine Wood Pellet Company somewhere, just can't remember where??

Try a Parris Farmers Union, any Blue Seal Feed store, Southern Maine Renewable Fuels, Aubuchon Hardware, several of the non big box building supply stores, Andy's Agway.

ETA: Between them you have Okies, Cubex, Barefoot, Corinth, Maine Woods Pellet, Ambiance, and Maine Choice.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Try a Parris Farmers Union, any Blue Seal Feed store, Southern Maine Renewable Fuels, Aubuchon Hardware, several of the non big box building supply stores, Andy's Agway.

ETA: Between them you have Okies, Cubex, Barefoot, Corinth, Maine Woods Pellet, Ambiance, and Maine Choice.

I see a few good ones in that litter! :) But I no beans about pellets! %-P

ScottyDaug said:
I saw some of the Maine Wood Pellet Company somewhere, just can't remember where??

Steep Falls Building Supply, Standish Hardware, Woodpellet Warehouse (that is Steve Barker's place sibwoodpellets.com) all were carrying MWP the last I knew.

Aubuchon had Corinth and another brand that I can't remember.

Woodpellet Warehouse also carries Okies, as does Southern Maine Renewable Fuels.

Cubex can be had at Southern Maine Renewable Fuels along with Oakies, Barefoot, and Maines Choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.