VC Resolute 1979 (III?)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Toki Elle

Feb 4, 2017
Minneapolis
IMG_0731.JPG Hey everyone!

I'm thinking about selling my VC Resolute wood burning stove. It's in the standard black and in good condition (not used much). It includes warming shelves and heat shields (and the stove pipe if the buyer wants it) but I have no idea what a fair price would be (since the internet is all over the map). Any help would be much appreciated :)

I live in the arctic tundra that is Minnesota if that helps ;)
IMG_0730.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased mine 2 years ago, without the bells and whistles, for $175 in the Ithaca NY area. I love it. It had very little surface rust, no cracks, needed gaskets and with a fresh paint job catches the eye of everyone who walks into the room. Wish the new stoves were made with such character. If you would would consider parting with the shelves, you would forever be my hero! ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Reactions: SpaceBus
View attachment 194164 Hey everyone!

I'm thinking about selling my VC Resolute wood burning stove. It's in the standard black and in good condition (not used much). It includes warming shelves and heat shields (and the stove pipe if the buyer wants it) but I have no idea what a fair price would be (since the internet is all over the map). Any help would be much appreciated :)

I live in the artic tundra that is Minnesota if that helps ;)
View attachment 194163
Sell the entire package as is! DON'T part it out, I've made that mistake, and you'll be left with stuff you can't sell easily, if at all, and less money to boot. I'd start out at $750 or more, for everything. You have a treasure there that will never be replicated, particularly if it is in good shape.

He is right about not parting it out, but I had to ask. His $$ sounds about right if there aren't any cracks or warping.

If I was near you, I'd buy it all from you, and resell the rusty one that I have in the barn to be restored. I paid $500, no extras, surface rust was only issue, as the smuck I bought it from put it outside while he was selling it.

It is one of the best stoves ever built in my opinion. Yours is extra special with all the accessories on it.

I have the exact stove myself; it's been a light winter, and it's getting very little use.

But I'll never sell it. It does a great job of heating our old 1923 house and keeps the downstairs at 72F, just about perfect for me. And it's a dog magnet too ;)

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Did you ever list and/or sell your stove? I did find an old Resolute for parts, including shelves, in Upstate NY. No heat shields. I've painted the shelves to match my stove. I'm happy, God is good. :)

Anyone know what the size of the fire box is in cu ft? And do these Resolute lll have cats?
No cat. It's a downdraft.

Small irregular firebox, but mighty. Under 2 cubic feet to be sure.

I cut my wood to 16" to fit e-w, and you can stack it to the top because it's top loading.

Thanks for the information. New to the wood stove party. The stove is small looking but attractive. Seems heavier then it needs to be be guessing it’s a thermatic advantage. did find a reference to the resolute was 1.7 cu. ft. 40K btu. Still in the back of the Ford Escape, not for long though. Going up today unload tomorrow. Weather is windy and cold.

Thanks for the information. New to the wood stove party. The stove is small looking but attractive. Seems heavier then it needs to be be guessing it’s a thermatic advantage. did find a reference to the resolute was 1.7 cu. ft. 40K btu. Still in the back of the Ford Escape, not for long though. Going up today unload tomorrow. Weather is windy and cold.
It's a great stove. Apparently not as clean burning as new ones, but a real winner.

What's a "thermatic advantage"? It's heavy because it's solid cast iron. Probably needs to be heavy because thin cast iron is brittle.

Thermal mass, lots of cast iron has a thermatic advantage over a lighter cast iron stove.
I might have made the word up. I do that at times.
Got it in the basement, oh so happy! So when when looking at the leg attachment bolt I noticed this little stamped part. Not sure what it’s for but guess you could use between leg and stove as a shim for leavling?
Tomorrow I am going to wash the stove and take a photo.
So this is a Resalote lll? Is it on the back of stove on the black tag?
What’s the best way to clean the glass? And fresh air intake goes to the hole on the lower left side?
Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• 833BBFF7-CE41-4467-A11D-4FDA10FDF913.jpeg
    833BBFF7-CE41-4467-A11D-4FDA10FDF913.jpeg
    192.1 KB · Views: 774
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Thermal mass, lots of cast iron has a thermatic advantage over a lighter cast iron stove.
I might have made the word up. I do that at times.
Got it in the basement, oh so happy! So when when looking at the leg attachment bolt I noticed this little stamped part. Not sure what it’s for but guess you could use between leg and stove as a shim for leavling?
Tomorrow I am going to wash the stove and take a photo.
So this is a Resalote lll? Is it on the back of stove on the black tag?
What’s the best way to clean the glass? And fresh air intake goes to the hole on the lower left side?
Thanks for the help.
Nice work. I've not seen that stamped peice before.

When you look inside the stove through the front doors, is "1979" appear on the inside back? Take a picture of that, too.

Look forward to the pictures.

Is this where I put the outside fresh air intake?
And can I run say 2” fresh air
automotive flexible pipe up the same 13”X13” flew with the 6” insulated flex?

Is this where I put the outside fresh air intake?
And can I run say 2” fresh air
automotive flexible pipe up the same 13”X13” flew with the 6” insulated flex?
You dont need a fresh air intake for this stove.

It looks like it's in great shape from the small areas you are posting pictures of. How about a full frontal?

That 1979 tells me a it's a III.

You are gonna love it.

I need fresh air intake to balance inside and outside pressure. My place is built airtight. I have a damper on my close dryer. Not interested in pulling in air though any cracks. Glad to read I will like it. Wanting to hook this up but had to install a kitchen faucet, pulled the sink and had to cut 2-1/2” Ash counter.
No chips on this stove, going to mount stove on a small 4 wheel cart to move around temporary. Want to roll it over to the door and shop vac out.
I too like photos, kitchen faucet are expensive. I pull the Kolher sink and it’s cast iron and wondered if they ever made a stove? Was going to buy one of there faucets 3 stars, but bought a faucet from Watermark Brooklyn NY.
Now re saving for stove pipe.
Need to buy tile for hearth floor, thinking slate but kinda soft. Maybe porcelain... front photos in good light next.

Attachments

• 1C9795CE-8ABE-4168-9083-F5D2BC793FDD.jpeg
    1C9795CE-8ABE-4168-9083-F5D2BC793FDD.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 535
  • 3F9826D8-CB0D-4253-8124-DF25EBFB9AAF.jpeg
    3F9826D8-CB0D-4253-8124-DF25EBFB9AAF.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 544
I need fresh air intake to balance inside and outside pressure. My place is built airtight. I have a damper on my close dryer. Not interested in pulling in air though any cracks. Glad to read I will like it. Wanting to hook this up but had to install a kitchen faucet, pulled the sink and had to cut 2-1/2” Ash counter.
No chips on this stove, going to mount stove on a small 4 wheel cart to move around temporary. Want to roll it over to the door and shop vac out.
I too like photos, kitchen faucet are expensive. I pull the Kolher sink and it’s cast iron and wondered if they ever made a stove? Was going to buy one of there faucets 3 stars, but bought a faucet from Watermark Brooklyn NY.
Now re saving for stove pipe.
Need to buy tile for hearth floor, thinking slate but kinda soft. Maybe porcelain... front photos in good light next.
I don't think a fresh air intake is possible with this stove. The picture you took is only one of the intakes, and you need to keep that lever available to adjust. The other intake is the silver flap at the bottom left that is attached to the chain that hangs down from the thermostat, which you also need to keep open. Plus, the stove is not airtight.

If your house is so tight you need a fresh air intake (feature on modern EPA stoves, not classic, easy breathing ones like the Resolute), you have the wrong stove. But, you are in luck, your house isn't, and the stove will work fine without it. You've been reading too much and making inferences that don't apply to your situation.

Yes I could be over thinking this. But what I was thinking is the OAK would have it’s own manual draft control.
Going to add this and if not needed fine but if I do use it and I balance pressure better yet. If my airtight way all the gaskets? If not airtight the Controls won’t work. I saw a 100 year old stove with fresh air intake and was not airtight, worked great.

I have three chimneys the 9x13 is for say propane furnace or a Scandinavian stove! Say many plans on line I would like to try. And have a great spot to put it in the basement. So weight not a concern.