Venting for Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jacobsdad42

Sep 26, 2023
Indiana
I recently purchased a house that has a pellet stove vented through a basement window. The original run was ran up just a couple feet below the soffit and the wood was discolored from the heat. After doing some research I also found it was over the maximum recommended length for 3" pipe. My question is can I run it out the window like this picture below safely or do I need another horizontal section? Thanks in advance for your help on this subject! I've also included pictures of how it was ran before and the inside setup.

received_1047588626264324.jpegreceived_273307935612470.jpegreceived_268733159310897.jpeg

Welcome to the forum
As long as the opening is sealed it is OK here
Just check with your local people
I'd turn the pipe up with a cleanout Tee
and run up about 3 feet and terminate
as long as you are far enough away from
that window that opens

Welcome to the forum
As long as the opening is sealed it is OK here
Just check with your local people
I'd turn the pipe up with a cleanout Tee
and run up about 3 feet and terminate
as long as you are far enough away from
that window that opens
Thanks for replying. Are you referring to the opening through the window? Should the joints in the pipe connections be sealed with anything or just twisted together?

I would want the pipe back vertical against the wall and secured to the wall. Hanging off the cinder block just looks like it’s waiting to get bumped and have something come loose which could lead to combustions gasses in the house.

Twist lock it all it needs, unless it leaks a bit of smoke inside on start up then you can try some high temp RTV.

How far is it from the ground and that grass? There are minimums to be observed (and you may meet them). Also think about snow drifts. IDK how much you get, but you want to make sure that the exhaust does not end up being buried.

The exhaust termination isn't in the best configuration. The way it is currently (and apparently to begin with) is asking for driving rain to enter the pipe and cause early rust out (at the least). Also, if that is on the prevailing wind side of the building, that could cause issues also (although you do have a nice long run in the basement, so I'd worry more about rusting out prematurely than wind).

I'd go with @johneh 's and @EbS-P 's suggestions, take it vertically 3 feet up that wall, then the termination (with perhaps a 45* angle between the vertical and termination piece).

Any twist locks I’ve ever used…I always foil tape just to be sure.