Vermont Casting Defiant Encore 2140

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kbrumit

Mar 7, 2023
California
Hello there. We bought our house about 18 years ago and it had the VC Defiant Encore 2140 in it. We absolutely love our woodstove, but we didn't know a ton about it or that there were things we needed to do to maintain it. Now many of the inside parts have fallen apart. I would like to get it repaired, but am struggling to find someone to do it. When I called a local woodstove shop, they told me I should just replace it instead of fixing it and wouldn't give me any help. So I have a multi-layer question...is there a way to find someone to work on our stove (we are in northern California), if not is there a video to help me work on it, is there a recommended site to get parts from? Thank you for any and all help.

Hello there. We bought our house about 18 years ago and it had the VC Defiant Encore 2140 in it. We absolutely love our woodstove, but we didn't know a ton about it or that there were things we needed to do to maintain it. Now many of the inside parts have fallen apart. I would like to get it repaired, but am struggling to find someone to do it. When I called a local woodstove shop, they told me I should just replace it instead of fixing it and wouldn't give me any help. So I have a multi-layer question...is there a way to find someone to work on our stove (we are in northern California), if not is there a video to help me work on it, is there a recommended site to get parts from? Thank you for any and all help.

Try calling some chimney sweeps.

You could DIY if you are patient and have decent mechanical skills. @jharkin & @Diabel may be able to help or point you to a rebuild thread with some images. It will probably run $6-800 for the inner parts if the rest of the stove is in good shape.

Most shops will say this because its such an older stove.. Look for the parts and download the manual.. there should be 2 1 is the actual manual with stove specs and intall requirements.. the 2nd is a repair/maintenance manual.. or at least mine has 2.. gat a gasket kit and gaskets.. just redo the stove while its apart..

Take and post pictures of the inside of the stove first. That way at least we know what we are dealing with in terms of replacement parts