Vermont Casting Intrepid - FLUE COLLAR TO STOVE PIPE CONECTION - HELP PLEASE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leisalu

Jan 28, 2009
California
I tried to connect my 6" Simpson DVL 8680 adaptor to the flue collar on my Intrepid today. The crimped end slips in okay but seems far to loose. This can't be right and it seems like it should be a tight fit so it seals well. Does anyone have any suggestions ???
Thanks

Hey, leisalu
<>I tried to connect my 6" Simpson DVL 8680 adaptor to the flue collar on my Intrepid today. The crimped end slips in okay but seems far to loose. This can't be right and it seems like it should be a tight fit so it seals well. Does anyone have any suggestions <>

How loose is "too loose?"
Some stoves come with a 1/4" gasket that gets stuffed into any gaps at that junction...
I suppose you could also use RTV or furnace cement to fill the gap...
Can you post a pic that shows your problem?

There's about 1/4" inch of play. The inside of the stoves flue collar is tapered but even with that the adaptor fits loose. I was thinking that the proper fitting would do it but haven't been able to find such. I'm now thinking a gasket of some kind for this area. What do ya think ???

Status
Not open for further replies.