vermont castings 1988 resolute acclaim

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

willty

Hearth Supporter
Jan 11, 2008
long island n.y.
hello,decided to hook up this stove that was left in basement.v.c. resolute.looks like nobody ever did a proper cleaning after removing the arch inserts ,per the manual.i dont think they were ever removed bolt broke imediatly.i noticed white plaster material,i believe this to the secondary refactory material.i am a novice and need a little help .looking down the flue collar i can see a hole in the plaster.which believe to be the combustion pakage.i will try to upload some pics.but i was reading that is a big part of the operation.is it a major job? one dealer said that old stove aint worth it just run it as is . i think the stove needs acouple things.its not in horrible shape.

Attachments

• 100_0432.jpg
    100_0432.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 786
  • 100_0434stove 2.jpg
    100_0434stove 2.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 873
I would HIGHLY recommend against burning it like that. At the least it will perform poorly, at the worst, you will burn your house down.

I appears you need the refractory (secondary combustion) package, as well as the fireback which goes over the package. Check you your damper and frame, as they are likely to be warped and need replacement.

Check gaskets, seams, make sure it's sealed tight.

If you decide to give up, I'll take it off your hands! haha

thanks,i take it this unit was abused.heres the fire back and arches.does this red color mean over fired?is it a major deal to install the refactorypakage?the fire back and arches seem basic enough.thank will

Attachments

• 100_0436stove 4.jpg
    100_0436stove 4.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 696
  • stove 3.jpg
    stove 3.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 660
Status
Not open for further replies.