Vermont Castings Encore NC 1450 heat deflector placement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

merlin3rd

Oct 16, 2017
Mount Airy, Maryland
Hello to everyone here in the forum. I'm new here and this is my first post:

I was given a Vermont Castings NC 1450 Encore. I replaced the refractory parts: shoe, fountain and lower, and bought the two stainless steel heat defectors, etc. My question is where do the two stainless steel heat deflectors go? In the manual there is one on the right and left side, but I can’t find a pic of their placement.

Thank you.
Merlin

Attachments

• 30002442-2__68558.1493905212.jpg
    30002442-2__68558.1493905212.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 110
They go between the refractory combustion box and the side of the stove. They go in before the fireback.

One goes on each side of the box. It shields the side of the stove from the intense heat coming out of the square holes on the sides of the box.

No, along the sides of the refractory box. They are item #s 3 and 4 in the manual's blow up diagram.

Merlin3rd, I have an Encore 1450 that needs a new fountain. I've searched the internet for instructions on how to replace, but haven't found any. Do you have instructions? Any advice on whether to use OEM VC parts vs aftermarket parts like those found on PlumbersStock.com? Thanks.

This is a 3 yr old thread. It's unlikely you will get a response. I would replace with a factory OEM part. They have improved the refractory material.