Vermont Castings Encore Reloading

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I agree with the draft and wood too wet as the culprit. For a 6" to draft well for an Encore is asking a lot. I had one on a 23' (above stove top) and I could not get it to draft that well with that big a stove. Downdraft stoves are draft needy. Also if he's getting centers >20% that's still too wet. He also has two 90's on that pipe which doesn't help with draft. Just my thoughts though.

what is your idea of a full load? How many and how large are your splits? What type of wood?

Usually a couple smaller pieces first then some larger splits. Try to fit 6 or 7 total. The smaller pieces are like 3 - 4”larger maybe 6”. I think it’s mostly oak. Some other hardwood mixed in

Usually a couple smaller pieces first then some larger splits. Try to fit 6 or 7 total. The smaller pieces are like 3 - 4”larger maybe 6”. I think it’s mostly oak. Some other hardwood mixed in
Sounds like you buy your firewood?

Sounds like you buy your firewood?

This was the first and last time. 3rd season burning. First year, previous homeowner left like 4 cords seasoned wood which, mixed with some stuff I split, got me through the first two years. Over the summer I cut down some trees and split 4 cords but it’s not ready to burn yet so late summer I bought a couple cords. I suspected wet wood as well because I am not sure how long ago it was split. I will properly test a few big pieces I have inside tomorrow after they are room temp for 24 hours.

Yeah.
Having a good and seasoned wood supply solves 95% of issues related to overall wood burning process.

This was the first and last time. 3rd season burning. First year, previous homeowner left like 4 cords seasoned wood which, mixed with some stuff I split, got me through the first two years. Over the summer I cut down some trees and split 4 cords but it’s not ready to burn yet so late summer I bought a couple cords. I suspected wet wood as well because I am not sure how long ago it was split. I will properly test a few big pieces I have inside tomorrow after they are room temp for 24 hours.
Read up on building a solar kiln this summer. Plenty of members here have had great success with doing so. And I would knock your 6” oak splits down to 3”-4” squares. They will stack much better in the stove while also getting some of that moisture out faster.

Also if you have some 2x4 scraps laying around mix those in with a stove load and see how she burns. Not treated wood obviously. Even though you have 25’ of liner I would suspect 6” with a tee is not helping you out any. But I’m not a sweep so I can’t say for sure. Have you thought about chit canning the surround and installing a block off plate instead? This might help with being able to monitor flue temps.

Yes, any way you can add a flue thermometer? That and a cat thermometer will tell you exactly how your stove operates.

CAT thermometer is coming Monday. Not sure how I could get one on the pipe other than pulling it out further and adding a pipe to the tee. I feel like that would cause draft problems however

You guys have been super helpful. I have a pregnant wife and not being able to run this stove would be less than ideal. Could you tell me if the chimney should be giving off no smoke at all when cat is operating? Also if either of you have a take on raking the coals before reloading I would love to hear it. I’ve heard a mixed philosophy on this topic.

Jim,
Take care of you wife! The rest does not matter.
We will be here....

Reactions: Jimmy C
Gentlemen... it’s the wood.

After properly moisture metering (thanks @RandyBoBandy ) I ended up getting readings around 24% - 26%.

Luckily this problem will only last the rest of this season as I have my wood for next year already split.

Things are starting to make sense now. As far as coals go. I have done both and honestly I can’t really tell the difference. If I have a lot of coals I spread them out evenly. If there are just enough to get a new fire going I pull them forward towards the glass. Some say this helps keep the glass clean. Idk? In the mean time you can use some 2x4 scraps to mix in with your oak or go to tractor supply and buy some bio bricks. Not the wax logs but the compressed sawdust things. I’ve never used them but many do.

This is at the 11 hour mark. Primary air is fully open at the moment. Cat temps at 887.

Attachments

• 9E2A30CA-B790-4F2D-BC34-F1C295396A62.jpeg
    9E2A30CA-B790-4F2D-BC34-F1C295396A62.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 139
Things are starting to make sense now. As far as coals go. I have done both and honestly I can’t really tell the difference. If I have a lot of coals I spread them out evenly. If there are just enough to get a new fire going I pull them forward towards the glass. Some say this helps keep the glass clean. Idk? In the mean time you can use some 2x4 scraps to mix in with your oak or go to tractor supply and buy some bio bricks. Not the wax logs but the compressed sawdust things. I’ve never used them but many do.

I should say the temps were actually 20% 23% 26%. I’m sure the wood is the issue. The only scrap 2x4 I have is pressure treated. Btw your stove at the 11 hour mark looks like mine at the 6.

I don’t think draft is an issue because of how quickly and easily I can get a fire going with the bypass open. Plus the liner I got was at least 28’

Reactions: RandyBoBandy
This is at the 11 hour mark. Primary air is fully open at the moment. Cat temps at 887.

What temp is your GT thermometer at this point? Usually when I reload it is no more than 350 but less coals (or at least not glowing as much) than this. Looking like this I would guess my GT temp would be 400 - 450.

Also, in order to get 11 h burn you must learn how to properly stuff your stove. If you can fit 6-7 splits in there....they must be on a thin small size.

Reactions: RandyBoBandy
What temp is your GT thermometer at this point? Usually when I reload it is no more than 350 but less coals (or at least not glowing as much) than this. Looking like this I would guess my GT temp would be 400 - 450.
When I opened the air at 8:30 I think GT was slightly north of 400. Now at 9:15 still cruising on coals it’s at 550 cat at 682. House is 72-73 outside is 35.

I should say the temps were actually 20% 23% 26%. I’m sure the wood is the issue. The only scrap 2x4 I have is pressure treated. Btw your stove at the 11 hour mark looks like mine at the 6.
My feelings with this stove is anything over 19 percent MC is going to be a little difficult to deal with.

Also, in order to get 11 h burn you must learn how to properly stuff your stove. If you can fit 6-7 splits in there....they must be on a thin small size.
All the way up to the GT.

Attachments

• 72C73C75-A9DA-4FE8-A901-EF2937989FFD.jpeg
    72C73C75-A9DA-4FE8-A901-EF2937989FFD.jpeg
    87.5 KB · Views: 134
Reactions: Diabel
This is pretty much what I shoot for when processing my firewood. The 4-5 inch piece is typically the largest split I will use when stuffing the box full. The trick to loading all the way up to the GT is use mostly square splits and when you get to the top of the andirons you need a split long enough to span the entire opening so nothing can roll into the glass.

Attachments

• 1DD94657-EED5-42F7-9A1F-51F1A86E51B4.jpeg
    1DD94657-EED5-42F7-9A1F-51F1A86E51B4.jpeg
    115.6 KB · Views: 144
  • 59D7C81F-BA47-4423-B74B-16BD43ACA26F.jpeg
    59D7C81F-BA47-4423-B74B-16BD43ACA26F.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 144
Reactions: Diabel
With wet wood, I would go and split it thin and mix it in with dry wood where you can. I had some wet stuff before, and if I threw it as a big split into the fire it would wreak havoc. Cutting it thing allowed it to be actually usable for heat if it is a mist for this year. Dont expect the worlds best burn times or efficiency though.

Mix in some cutoff 2x4s with the splits. That will help keep the firebox hotter.

A cat meter is a must on these stoves. On all cat stoves as a matter of fact. Research Auber100 and get one. How are you measuring the moisture of your firewood?

Having trouble getting the thermometer to work... not sure what I did wrong but it’s only reading “EEEE”. Tried calling customer support. No answer