Vermont Castings extends layoff (waiting months for the right part)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandoo

Jan 8, 2008
Mid-Ohio
Article headline

A couple of you may remember my new stove and poor fitting flue adapter pipe, I have had e-mail correspondence with CFM and have been told to wait until the end of the layoff. Of course I send a reminder every now and then to keep the communications open, but I have to say I feel like I am hanging out here without support and I'm not liking it! A lot of money was laid out on this set up. I did a temp repair but now I'm starting to hear and see the air draw and flames again. Other than that the stove has been working way above expectations with it's wood consumption vs heat output and overnight burn times. But I should not even be typing about this problem!!!!!

Well just thought I'd vent and if any of you guys have a solution to the problem I'm listening. As of now I'm afraid to take the cemented connection apart do to how fragile the seal is.

Link to original post

Flue collar issue

that sucks buddy.
i'm stuck looking at my Intrepid w/one shelf. looks dumb but still functional.

wish CRAIG would scrape the funds together and buy VC already..............(oh the wonderful things you could do man)

Caveat Emptor really got you this time, that sucks. The housing and credit crunch has spread into all sectors of the economy. At least the junk yards are full of cars for parts should any auto manufacturers go belly up. Its not just you or just VC its the whole economy.

Just wait or fix it.

Could you put a different black oval to round (black single wall) in to fix the problem.

The problem could look worse as each time you reassemble the enameled pipe the chances of the enamel chipping in other places increases eack time its moved out and in.

I probably would get some small door stove gasket rope or glass gasket and shove it in to the gap. Then use a ss hose clamp to help hold it in place. At best a temporary fix at best till the new part is made, but things will not get chipped up with disassembly and reassembly..

Oh, don't worry, frying pans are in great demand according to the weather forecasters and other sages.
:coolsmirk:

That seems to be to be the largest and most extended layoffs in VC history. I remember some that were a few weeks, but none that were three months. They must really be bleeding.

I am certain that the name brand will continue.....in some form or another. The foundry and stuff is pretty advanced also, and given the cheap American dollar it would seem that there is a lot of subcontract work that might be had. Heck, you might see Jotul and Morso and friends getting together and buying the place just so they can sell stoves competitively here! (like BMW, Mercedes, etc. all built factories here).

I do have my doubts about this ending up being a good investment for the Canadian Teachers Pension, though. But it seems like they have MANY billions of dollars and this should not hurt them too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.