Vermont Castings insert 36bdvrrn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bioburner

Aug 4, 2012
West central Mn
Well my folks are slowing down and the use of solid fuels is becoming more of a challenge than they want.
I found a Dovre and installed it in place of the wood stove upstairs and it is the same as the one I have in my home so I did the work and now after a couple weeks was asked about getting something to replace the Queen Aire fireplace in the basement and found a Vermont casting insert with the hearth surround and looks from pictures to be in good shape.
Any suggestions good or bad as for me to purchase this unit for $750?
I have had a freestanding unit made by VC and was a nice unit and I made good $$$ when I went with the Dovre.

This unit is not an INSERT. It's a Rear Direct Vent Zero Clearance FIREPLACE.
It is meant to be framed into a wall & either "bumped" out into a doghouse
or situated proud of a wall in a cabinet mantel. Nowhere in the install manual does
it show it can be used as an INSERT.

Thanks for the heads up and will try and get a copy of the manual today to see if I could adapt for use in the old hearth.
00A0A_2xlMeR53k3B_600x450.jpg

It's possible to do, using a coaxial to co-linear adapter & then running the liners up the chimney.
It is NOT tested or approved to be installed that way, but it'll work.
Don't ask me how I know that...

After downloading manual found the btu input to be pretty low. 18K
The search will continue. Maybe find a freestanding stove with a rear venting. Have time at least on my side and about 5.5 cords of wood and the weather has just started to get cold. CL has been very good for me and only once been sent on a wild goose chase.
Thanks for the input

Reactions: DAKSY
Status
Not open for further replies.