Virginia Burners... is this a good price for wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Elisurfer4

Jan 7, 2018
Richmond, VA
hey guys, I know the prices of wood vary by region, but I live in the richmond, va area so anyone with knowledge near these parts please chime in.

I have a guy who will sell two cords of “95% oak” in either splits or slabs delivered.

Slab-$180
Split-$275

What do ya think?

Ps I’d be willing to bet that this lovely oak is *gasp* not fully seasoned, but I’m trying to get ahead here. I burn bricks in the meantime.

Cheers

2 cords? $180? That is a good price anywhere in the country! By slabs do you means rounds? You are probably guaranteed for it to not be ready to burn but who cares at that price!

I'm about an hour north of you. The price for the oak seems good... almost too good from what I've come across. I'd want to make sure I was getting two full cords and not some guys 'gestimate' of what two cords might be. As far as the slabwood goes, I've seen guys listing it for 50/cord (not cut to length), and if you have the ability to haul it and cut it to length you can get it cheaper than that.

Were you the guy that got the delivery of compressed logs recently?

I'm about an hour north of you. The price for the oak seems good... almost too good from what I've come across. I'd want to make sure I was getting two full cords and not some guys 'gestimate' of what two cords might be. As far as the slabwood goes, I've seen guys listing it for 50/cord (not cut to length), and if you have the ability to haul it and cut it to length you can get it cheaper than that.

Were you the guy that got the delivery of compressed logs recently?

I am that guy yes haha

I am that guy yes haha

I lucked out. This is my first year burning and I found a local guy selling mixed wood for 150/cord. He advertised sparingly on c-list in the fall. Nice guy, had no problem with me testing with a moisture meter. In fact, he said that's how he knows when his wood is seasoned. I've picked up two cords so far and both are <17%. I've also picked up (for free) some fully seasoned as well as some not so fully seasoned stuff. A few weeks ago I picked up 1/2 cord of split red oak for 50. Of course it's reading 28% so I'll let it sit for few years to get it usable. Last night I picked up a trailer load of bucked oak for 20. I started splitting today. I'll stack that with the other oak and sit on it

Keep scouring CL and try facebook as well. I think I've found some stuff on there.

The two cords of split oak is a good price. Honestly, if you are buying green, there is no reason to ever go above $150 per cord in our region. I have plenty of firewood sources who are sawmill folks or loggers who sell at or around those prices. Last weekend I got slightly over a cord and a half of mixed hardwood delivered for $170. It ended up being mostly red oak with some ash and locust.

In addition, I would stay away from the slab wood. It may seem like a good deal but slab wood is typically bark and scraps.

What’s slab wood?
Up here it means a couple of things for wood, it can be the wood quarters with the bark on it from a saw mill where they cut off the slabs, leaving the inner core of the log squared up, the Amish saw mills up here sell bundles of this kind of slab wood fairly cheap. Or some call cheap dimensional pine or lumber....slab wood- used mainly to get a quick bed of coals in a stove and to get cord wood going, much like kindling but with bigger pieces of wood.

Splits seem like a good price...could you PM me some info on who's selling? I'd like to get some unbucked, unsplit trees delivered at some point. I love the processing, hate trying to scrounge. I just got about 1/2 cord a couple of weeks ago after they felled an elm across the street from me in the museum district...