Vogelzang 5970

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

LongHaul379

Oct 17, 2023
United States
I recently purchased a used vogelzang 5970 for $200 and am trying to fix it up. (Sanded and repainted,get rid of all the ash buildup, fixing broken wires) Well one project I am currently stumped on is the Exhaust blower assembly. I bought a new one from ebay and it does not have gaskets with it to replace. Well the only luck I have found is a company online called Mountain View Hearth products and for the 2 gaskets (88166 Blowest housing and 88175 Thermodisk) Is this a safe company to buy from? Also any other suggestions on what I might want to do before I install it would be appreciated.

I know of no one that has had a problem with Mountain View
Bought a couple of things from them
Service was good and shipped fast but being out of the US shipping was expensive

Reactions: ARC
You may have better luck if you lookup the actual stoves number, 5790 not 5970. I ran one for a couple of years and hated everyday of it. Don't forget about the ash traps in the back on both sides, mine would get packed within a month and Choke the stove out.

You may have better luck if you lookup the actual stoves number, 5790 not 5970. I ran one for a couple of years and hated everyday of it. Don't forget about the ash traps in the back on both sides, mine would get packed within a month and Choke the stove out.
The man i bought it from did not clean them out. Was packed from the top of the stove down. I was looking up 5790 just a typo in the title sorry. The way I looked at it was it is a cheap investment and if I like running a pellet stove I would move over to a Harman probably.

They're good to start with, just a lot of maintenance. I would shop vac what I could with the stove running every few days, also get something to breakup the junk in the burn pot once a day to maintain airflow and good combustion. Had to shut the stove down once a month to clean or else it would schedule it for me. Harmans are awesome, they can run an entire season without shutting down. Not that's it recommended but it's doable. I picked up my p61 for 500 bucks in good condition, deals are out there.

Well I fired it on after hooking it up and it keeps tripping the Snapdisk and giving a E1 error code. IT has been taken apart and cleaned. Cleaned the Convection blower and it spins just fine. I am leaning towards replacing the snapdisk next. Any thoughts?

Jump the snap disc out first and see if it starts then. I forgot what E1 is

E1 Manual says is convection blower over heating or high limit switch malfunction. So if I jump the wires and bypass the high limit switch shut off it will no longer shut off and works fine. However on manual setting one it gets so hot I can't even touch the hopper lid and pellets inside are warm. So I don't think leaving the snap disk bypassed is a good idea but idk maybe these stoves are always very hot

Hmmm,maybe the snap disc is working but it's just doing it's job then. Are you positive the room sir blower is running?

I can see the fan moving and can feel hot air from the front. Maybe it's not actually functioning as well as it should and causing it to overheat? Guess I should have skipped this vg5790 "deal" and just got a Harman from the getgo. Very bad first experience.

My room air blower wouldn't kick on until the stove was up to a certain temp, you should feel it blowing out of the front pretty good. Try raising the blower setting and see if it increases. Don't hang it up yet, you'll get it figured out. These things are simple

My room air blower wouldn't kick on until the stove was up to a certain temp, you should feel it blowing out of the front pretty good. Try raising the blower setting and see if it increases. Don't hang it up yet, you'll get it figured out. These things are simple
This stove does not have an option to change anything except level 1/5 for heat.

Right, but if you set it to 5 the room air blower should speed up to max speed

How long will it run before it faults out?

Unfortunately hot Is an opinion, hot to me and hot to you is two differant things. They do get pretty warm. Not sure where to tell you to go from here.

30mins to an hour. Around the time the stove gets hot on the top and sides .
I should add the old owner said it needed a new exhaust motor so I did buy one still waiting on the gaskets. He said today it has always done the E1 code if not bypassed (even though idk if it's safe given how hot it gets and heats the hopper pellets too) I did not know this until I bought it.

Just an update for anyone curious or googling in the future. Replaced the snapdisk did nothing; replacing the exhaust assembly did nothing; Replacing the whole convection blower assembly and gaskets for everything seems to have been the trick. It now blows a solid 6' away where as the old one was maybe 2' if that. Stove is still warm to touch but no longer E1. Thank you all on here for the help and support.

They're good to start with, just a lot of maintenance. I would shop vac what I could with the stove running every few days, also get something to breakup the junk in the burn pot once a day to maintain airflow and good combustion. Had to shut the stove down once a month to clean or else it would schedule it for me. Harmans are awesome, they can run an entire season without shutting down. Not that's it recommended but it's doable. I picked up my p61 for 500 bucks in good condition, deals are out there.
How would you clean it without shutting it off? Having a bunch of issues after running for about a month. Was able to shut it off and back on multiple times before needing to clean, all was burning clean and burn pot barely had any ash. Now i'm getting an E2 upon startup or after startup and my burnpot keeps filling up and overflowing. No idea what the issue is because I've cleaned out the side cleanouts and the stove pipe and took off the exhaust motor and cleaned back in there as well. It's like all of a sudden it won't just burn properly, like it isn't burning up the initial dump of pellets from startup and then just keeps piling them up.