Vogelzang ponderosa air control question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Wood stove novice

Nov 20, 2020
North Carolina
I have a ponderosa that I have used for about 2 weeks. I have no experience with an epa wood stove. My parents had a classic so my comparisons are with that. I feel like there might be something wrong with mine because it is eating thru my firewood so quickly! Also because adjusting the dampers does not seem to have any affect on the amount of flame in the fire box.

My firewood is mostly oak, 1.5 yrs old. It's pretty dry since I thought I was going to install the stove last year but I didn't. It's mostly split into quarters, about 4-6 inches across or equivalent. Maybe it's too dry? Maybe it's split too small? I put in 3 or 4 pieces and get a lot of flame even tho the dampers are shut (the manual indicated that pushed in is shut, except that one paragraph where it said pulled out was shut. I thought I'd be able to tell by looking at the flame but adjustment doesn't seem to make a bit of difference.) The 3 or 4 pieces are gone in about 4 hours.

A few factors that I will mention but probably don't mean anything: it was the floor model so I got a good deal but it wasn't totally new when I bought it. It's installed close to the chimney so I'm using a box fan to move the air instead of the blower for the back that came with it bc it would blow the air right onto the chimney if it would even fit there. It's in an unfinished basement. It burns really clean, no smoke to be observed.

I've been looking around on the internet and I haven't been able to tell any way to observe whether the dampers are working. There is a squeak on the right one and a grating sound on the left that may indicate they are moving something that is out of sight.

Thanks for any insights!

Assume that the stove is ok and look at other factors. Is the stove on a tall flue system >30'? How quickly are you cutting back the air once the kindling has ignited the wood?

Assume that the stove is ok and look at other factors. Is the stove on a tall flue system >30'? How quickly are you cutting back the air once the kindling has ignited the wood?
The flu is tall. Probably a little over 30 ft.
Cutting down air soon after the wood is started and pretty much keeping it closed. When it burns down to coals I just add some sticks with the logs and leave the door open a couple minutes.

Is there a key damper in the stove pipe? If not, I would add one.