Vt Cast DW 2462 Cat air plate question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zkx14

Dec 31, 2015
South Central PA
Hello. I am rebuilding a Dutchwest XL date code 0944. There is a small opening in the back right corner leading under the right inner plate. I saw in the older manual that there was originally something of a manifold cast into back of the end plate and it was for balance air when they had openings on the doors. Mine gets air from the front and washes down the inside of the glass. Is that opening just a carry- over in the casting? Do I need it, or should I cement it shut.
Thanks

Got a pic? I don't recall seeing that in the 2460.

Wasn't easy, but I got her to pose for a picture. The inner end plate is shown inside out. The older model had distribution channels cast into it (found service manual pic) and I believe the air would have entered the firebox through several small holes. This one seams to fit tight to the outside plate. So, even if I did not seal the back, I don't think it would let much air pass. I'm thinking the three big pieces carry over from the earlier model, but was hoping someone would know for sure.
image.jpeg
I rebuilt this many years ago and sealed the corner. I did not pay attention to how it was done originally.

@humpin iron has rebuilt a lot of these stoves. It's been a while since he surfaced on the forum, though.
Here's a thread concerning the date codes. https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/how-do-you-read-the-mfg-date-code-on-dutchwest.65578/
That agrees with what I have seen on the date code. Making it a 1994. It was in my father in laws house when he bought the place (before 2004).He had no idea how to use the cat burner, definitely overfired... I took the thing apart and re-assembled at my house. Inner top was a mess-I patched a crack in it with furnace cement replaced the baffle and was able to get the element seated and worked great for years. It was overfired sometime last season and warped the inner top more, to the point it crushed the honeycomb. I cleaned out the pieces, added some furnace cement. With about 3/4 of the cat open it still worked good. Since the opening was now severely warped a new round element would no longer fit. So I got the newer style inner top plus a few related parts and am now ready to assemble. Probably tomorrow. Lucky this winter has not decided to start yet. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.