Walnut Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigIron

Feeling the Heat
Dec 23, 2014
Peru, IL
Hi all,

I scored a huge black walnut tree over the weekend.. Should I be this excited? I think it's good burning wood. It's not like cottonwood so I'm pretty pumped.. About 4ft at the base and about 40 ft long. Now I just have to split and stack. Tree was dead so should be able to burn this season coming up.. Just wanted to share my score with you all..

Thanks Dave

I personally don't like black walnut at all as fire wood and if it is that big i would have a saw mill look at it before you cut it up if it is solid and not full of metal that tree could be worth a fair amount.

Reactions: TheBigIron
I think it makes ok firewood. The weight difference between wet alive and dry is pretty drastic though. I compare it to American Elm and Soft Maple as far as heat/length of burn is concerned.

compare it to American Elm and Soft Maple as far as heat/length of burn is concerned.
It's not bad; BTU charts have it a little better than Cherry...seems to me to burn a little longer than soft Maple.

Last edited:
I like it a lot. To me it burns better than cherry, dries moderately fast, smells good when burning, splits well, and produces a pretty flame.

It does leave more ash, but so what.

Everyone is ga-ga about black cherry then they look down on walnut. They are similar wood to me.

I personally don't like black walnut at all as fire wood and if it is that big i would have a saw mill look at it before you cut it up if it is solid and not full of metal that tree could be worth a fair amount.
unfortunately it is cut into somewhat moveable pieces.... Not big enough for the mill however I have another walnut that I could take them...

I have all kinds of wood in my stacks, black walnut and black cherry included. I burn anything I can scrounge, if it's free-its ME!

I like walnut. Also, it helps you get ahead of you have a bunch. Except for the nagging voice telling me I oughta make something out of it. I've seen a few bows done With it. Someday....

Reactions: D8Chumley
Similar to Cherry, medium heat, LOTS of fine ash.

I've been burning well seasoned walnut for a few weeks. It burns great, like Hogwildz said fine powdery ash. It's as good as cherry. The saw mill route, you'll find they will be very leery of nails and metal pieces and offer you practically nothing for it. I have 30 walnut trees on my property. Messy dirty trees and they don't want one of them.

The saw mill route, you'll find they will be very leery of nails and metal pieces and offer you practically nothing for it. I have 30 walnut trees on my property. Messy dirty trees and they don't want one of them.
Aound here one that big they will still pay decent money for it definatly enough to buy already cut and split fire wood of an equal volume

Status
Not open for further replies.