Want to add a pair of beer kegs to my hearth setup. Pump water through the stove etc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

area_man

Burning Hunk
Feb 12, 2013
Oregon City, OR
I don't know how to do this, but it seems like it might be a decent idea. My stove runs hot and fast, so this might be a way to let it run hot and fast, capture the heat, and let it radiate out over an extended time period. It might cool off the hottest part of the burn as well.

My idea is to pump water between the two kegs through the wood stove. Over time, the water in the kegs would get up to boiling and that would be it for the heat transfer. Maybe I could use some kind of thermostat to signal the pumps to stop.

I can hardly imagine that I'm the first person to think of this. Are there already plans available for this kind of thing?

Eeeek! I like the idea, but the execution has several issues to overcome. When you say "through the wood stove" do you actually mean internal to the firebox? Anyhow, without going into major detail...
You will loose all stove certification if you bore a pipe into the firebox.
Potential cooling issues internal to the stove.
Potential steam/pressure issues unless relief valves are used.
Loss of power during operation?? (No circulation).
Insurance? (no longer a legal install).
Hmmm...I am sure I am missing a few...

How about simply installing a modern insert/stove with better air control and longer burn times? If the fireplace opening is tall enough an Englander 30NC would cost ~$900 and if you are lucky even less when the spring/summer deal is still available. Check the hearth forum for that one.

As much as I like beer kegs...
What Jags said.
You can get much of the same benefit as what you're aiming for by just placing thermal mass near the stove (liquid (yum) filled kegs, masonry, ,etc.)

If this is for the old Orley it should have been put out to pasture years ago. You would get more heat with a lot less wood by replacing the old cylinder with a modern stove. And it would be a whole lot safer. Hot water heating needs to be done safely. Steam can be very explosive.

Use the money saved on wood with a new stove to refill the kegs instead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.